35| Nurse Karma

"Come on, big guy. We're almost there." 

I had my arm draped over Karma's shoulders as we walked up to her front door. Lanie and Ayden had already come by to drop some of my stuff off here. When Karma mentioned me going back to my place, I felt a sense of dread. I didn't want to go home. I had no idea why, but I wanted to go with Karma. 

"Okay," she said when we got to her door, "I'm going to unlock it, then we'll get you to the couch." 

"Sounds good." I winced as I leaned against the door frame. Fuck. I felt like I got run over by a semi. Then he backed up and did it again. 

I watched Karma as she grabbed her keys from her purse and unlocked the door. She's been acting odd since the hospital. A little distant. I didn't like it. I had my suspicions about what it was, and once we got inside I was going to ask her about it. 

She pushed the door open and turned back towards me. "Ready?" 

"As much as I can be," I grumbled. 

She helped me into the house and kicked the door shut behind her. We made it to the couch and I tried to gently sit on the couch. 

"Fucking Christ." Yeah, that didn't work.

"Sorry." 

I shook my head. "It's not your fault." 

Now she wasn't looking at me. What the fuck? When she started to walk away, I grabbed her hand. Her eyes widened with surprise when I pulled her down to sit on my lap. Luckily, she didn't put up a fight. 

"Are you sure this is okay?" she asked. "I don't want to hurt you." 

Actually, it hurt like hell. My whole fucking body ached. But that wasn't important right now. 

"What's wrong, Karma?" 

Her arm was wrapped around my shoulder and her body relaxed a little against mine. "Nothing's wrong."

"Karma, tell me. Please. You're barely speaking to me or looking at me. You're acting like you can't stand to be in the same room with me." I sighed heavily. "Do you want me to leave?" 

I really hoped that wasn't the case. I didn't want to leave. I didn't know what was going to happen between us and I wanted to spend as much time with her as I could. Just in case.

She shook her head. "No, I want you here." 

"Then what is it?" 

It went from zero to one hundred. She broke down and covered her face as she cried. 

"I'm sorry, Nathan." 

I frowned and rubbed her back. "Why are you crying? You have nothing to apologize for." 

"It's my fault. What happened to you." 

"Why the hell would you think that?" 

She continued to cry into her hands. "You were distracted because you were on the phone with me. If you hadn't have been on the phone, you might not have been in that accident."

She was incredible and unbelieveable at the same time. 

"Karma, look at me." 

She didn't. 

"Look at me, or I'm going to use my loud voice." 

When she turned to face me, her eyes were red and tears were still streaming down her face. I painfully lifted my arm and wiped them away. 

"None of this was your fault. It was a three car accident. You heard the cop. Someone hit the car that hit me. Nothing would have been different if I was off of the phone. Don't blame yourself, baby. Okay?"