xviii. No Romance in the Infirmary

You know what was very embarrassing? Being unconscious after you finishing a heroic quest.

Kira woke up in a cold sweat in some sort of infirmary.

She was in a simple white cot, and she felt stiff, like she hadn't moved in a day.

Oh, Calais. She knew his death was her fault. She tried to push the idea to the back of her head, but her mind swam with guilt.

She almost moved her arms to stretch when she saw him.

Leo was gripping her hand, his head slumped against the cot, snoring uncomfortably. Kira thought he looked absolutely adorable. She couldn't help but think that this memory would be going in the Museum of Love.

She admired him for a few seconds before lightly shaking him awake. "Leo," She whispered.

Leo shot awake, looking wildly around. His eyes rested on Kira awake, and his eyes widened.

"Dammit!" He whispered. "I wanted to be awake when you woke up,"

Kira only gave him a tired smile.

She was stiff, but completely healed. Glancing at her shoulder, her cut was now a thin scar running up her left arm, and her burns were gone. She felt full of energy for the first time in a while.

"You scared me, Ki," He said, eyes full of worry.

"I'm sorry, Le. It won't happen again."

Kira sat up, spreading her arms, giving Leo a tight hug.

"Hey!" A voice called. "No romance in the infirmary!"

Kira broke the hug, blushing, to see Will. He was rushing towards them.

"Hey Kira!" He said breathlessly, arms full of supplies. "Are you feeling better?"

"Much. Thank you so much, Will," She told him with a bright smile.

"Any time," Will said, rushing away when someone called his name for help.

"Leo," She started, wanting to tell him her feelings. "I-"

"Oh, gods! I forgot!" Leo cried. "I have to show them Bunker Nine!"

"Bunker Nine?"

"Yeah! C'mon!"

Kira wasn't sure if she was supposed to leave without Will's permission, but she took Leo's hand, creeping out of the infirmary.

She forgot how much she missed Camp Half Blood. She waved to a bunch of demigods as Leo dragged her away to "Bunker 9".

They all looked happy to see her alive, so she guessed that was a good thing.

She was almost knocked off her feet when someone crushed her in a hug.

When they pulled apart, Kira smiled widely. "Connor!" She said happily.

"Kira!" He answered. "You're alive!"

"That, I am," She said, smiling.

"She'll catch up later," Leo said, frowning at the boy. "We gotta run."

Leo took her hand again, and she waved goodbye to Conner as Leo dragged her into the woods, oblivious to the boy's distaste for Connor.

When they got there, they were the first ones.

"Leo, we're not even late," She said, looking at the large building behind them. "No one's here,"

"Shush, Willows," He told her. "I needed to be first,"