xliv. The Praetor Doesn't Like Kira's Boyfriend

❝you are the fire that lights my soul

you are the fire that lights my soul

and keeps my heart warm at night

christy ann martine

△△△

"Kira."

"Kira, please, baby,"

"Hey, I'm right here. I've got you, love,"

Kira's eyes peeled open slowly, sealed tight with aged tears.

Her vision was blurred, but she could make out a tanned figure hovering over her with brown, curly hair.

Had she actually made it?

She breathed in air greedily, the crispness and coolness of it was a drastic change from Tartarus. She breathed so deeply as if no air would ever be enough, as if she was a drowning victim brought up from the depths.

There was a change in the atmosphere. There wasn't a loom of death, or the aura of Tartarus.

She let a shaky breath out, a tear falling down the side of her face. She reached out, her shaky arm coming in contact with his warm cheek. She stroked a tear away.

It was really him.

She managed a shaky laugh, another tear falling.

Leo placed his hand on her back, gently lifting her to a sitting position before wrapping his arms around her protectively.

His hands were wrapped in her hair, holding her, as if he could never get close enough. He held her like a glass vase, as if he made one wrong move and she would shatter.

The world froze, as if Leo was the only one in it. In a way, he was. Leo was Kira's world, and she was finally back in his arms.

"I'm never letting you out of my sight, never again." He promised, clutching the love of his life. They both let out a few tears, but when they pulled apart, Leo wiped her tears away from her eyes gently.

He mentioned nothing of her appearance. He was elated to her again, but he knew she was different. New scars coated her skin, and her muscles were more defined. It was no surprise that a lot of suffering had gone down in the pit, but Leo didn't realize the toll it took on her until he reached her eyes.

Her bright hazel eyes were muddy brown and dull. There was no light, no gleam that reached them when he held her. She looked broken.

But Leo swore on the River Styx that he would fix her. He would make her into the girl she used to be, happy.

He didn't speak out loud, but thunder rolled from above.

"Gods," He whispered, kissing her forehead carefully. "I thought I'd never see you again,"