xxiv. Meeting Wine Dude, Jason's Brother

Kira and Leo got up early so that Coach Hedge wouldn't know that they slept in the same bed.

They walked to the front of the ship, both of them still in pajamas with messy hair and morning breath.

They sat down at the bow, watching the towns pass them underneath.

They watched the sun rise, pale pink and orange streaks in the air.

Kira placed her head on Leo's shoulder. Leo's absentmindedly curled her hair with his fingers.

They sat there until Coach Hedge rang the breakfast bell. Leo ran to wake up the rest of the demigods, and Kira rushed to finish getting ready.

Leo was thanking Piper for forgiving him when Kira popped out of her cabin. She fist-bumped Piper and kissed Leo on the cheek.

From above, Coach Hedge yelled, "Thar she blows! Kansas, ahoy!"

"Holy Hephaestus," Leo muttered. "He really needs to work on his shipspeak. I'd better get above deck."

Leo grabbed Kira's hand, and they took off for the deck. Kira sat on the bow yet again as Leo sailed, her mind in bliss.

Yesterday had been a lot to process, but at long as she had Leo, she knew she'd be okay.

Annabeth greeted her with a pat on the shoulder, her eyes bright as she entered the deck with Percy.

Piper joined the rest of crew last as the ship's landing gear extended. She climbed on deck and joined the others as the Argo II settled in the middle of a field of sunflowers. The oars retracted. The gangplank lowered itself.

Kira smiled at the sunflowers.

"So!" Annabeth plucked the bagel out of Piper's hand and took a bite. "Here we are. What's the plan?"

"I want to check out the highway," Piper said. "Find the sign that says Topeka 32."

Leo spun his Wii controller in a circle, and the sails lowered themselves. "We shouldn't be far," he said. "Festus and I calculated the landing as best we could. What do you expect to find at the mile marker?"

Piper explained what she'd seen in the knife—the man in purple with a goblet.

"Purple shirt?" Jason asked. "Vines on his hat? Sounds like Bacchus."

"Dionysus," Percy muttered. "If we came all the way to Kansas to see Mr. D—"

"Bacchus isn't so bad," Jason said. "I don't like his followers much, but the god himself is okay," Jason continued. "I did him a favor once up in the wine country."

Percy looked appalled. "Whatever, man. Maybe he's better on the Roman side. But why would he be hanging around in Kansas? Didn't Zeus order the gods to cease all contact with mortals?"

"The gods haven't been very good at following that order," he noted. "Besides, if the gods have gone schizophrenic like Hazel said—"

"And Leo said," added Leo.

Frank scowled at him. "Then who knows what's going on with the Olympians? Could be some pretty bad stuff out there."

"Sounds dangerous!" Leo agreed cheerfully. "Well...you guys have fun. I've got to finish repairs on the hull. Coach Hedge is gonna work on the broken crossbows. And, uh, Annabeth—I could really use your help. You're the only other person who even sort of understands engineering."

Annabeth looked apologetically at Percy. "He's right. I should stay and help."

"I'll come back to you." He kissed her on the cheek. "Promise."