lxxxv. Dancing in the Rain

❝go where you breathe fire❞

go where you breathe fire

butterflies rising

△△△

"Dammit!" Kira grumbled, her face contorted into a frusterated grimace.

"What does it say?" Piper asked from the other side of the door.

"What do you think it says?" Kira asked miserably. She threw the small test across her bathroom.

Piper peaked through door before opening, picking up the test. "Oh, Kira," She said sadly.

"This is stupid." Kira grumbled. She snatched the pregnancy test, throwing it in the trash and walking into her kitchen.

Her and Leo had been trying to get pregnant for a year now. It was undeniably frustrating that the test came up negative every time.

She opened the fridge, taking out two tubs of ice cream. She tossed one to Piper, sitting down on her couch.

They had bought their own house in upstate New York. Piper was visiting for a few days before she left, and today was her last day. She missed her friends dearly sometimes, but luckily for her, they visited quite often. She had seen Percy and Annabeth last weekend in fact, stopping by before they visited Sally, Percy's mom.

"Kira," Piper tried. "You could always adopt,"

It was a fair offer. Of course they could adopt, and Kira had considered it a few times. She knew she would have to talk about with Leo before she did anything. That meant they wouldn't have to deal with the god side of their life.

She stuck her spoon in the carton, frowning deeply. The cold ice cream melted in her mouth, relieving some of her pent up anger and frustration.

"Yeah," She said halfheartedly. "I could."

Piper sighed, taking a spoonful of ice cream as well. "Let's change the subject. How's work?"

Leo had gotten a job at a local mechanic shop, so close that Kira could walk there from the house to visit him at lunch. Kira was the newest nurse intern at the local hospital.

"It's alright. The child patients are the most exhausting." She told Piper truthfully, and she laughed.

"Maybe consider not having any kids, then."

It was a lighthearted suggestion, but it weighed on Kira that she might not want kids. Either exposing the child to the harsh demigod life, or even if they adopted, the fear that she might not be able to protect the child from monsters looking for her and Leo.

Also, her mother haunted her thoughts. She would never forgive herself if she became similar to how her own mother had treated her.

She pressed her lisp together tightly. "Maybe." She straightened slightly, taking another bite of ice cream. "How about you, McLean?"