lxii. Aphrodite and Ares have Salad

❝my mind knows i cannot have you

my mind knows i cannot have you

but that doesn't stop it from dreaming

of all the ways that i could.

s.l. gray

△△△

Kira watched the entrance to to the Labyrinth with worry, mixed with guilt for not being able to help.

She paced back and forth as people slowly returned from the maze.

Harley was still jumping up and down, and Nyssa held the same worried expression that Kira did.

"They'll be alright, yeah?" Nyssa asked Kira worriedly. Kira shot her quick nod.

"I'm worried about Apollo the most. He's got no experience being a demigod, and we sent him in with the newest camper." Kira told her.

Nyssa thought about that for a moment. "Hmm, that wasn't a bright idea."

"Nope."

More and more campers made it back, until it was Meg and Apollo, and Kayla and Austin missing.

Kira made her way to Chiron. "I'm going down to look for them."

"Absolutely not." He told her.

"Chiron, please," Kira begged. "I can't lose another friend."

There were desperate tears in her eyes now, and Chiron had to look away.

"Austin and Kayla would not want that." He told her, but she only let a tear fall, running back to the group.

Apollo and Meg made it back, but Kayla and Austin never did. The demigods went back to their cabins. Kira stayed at the edge of the woods, looking for them.

Chiron had sent search parties of dryads into the forest, on the assumption that they would be safe in their home territory, but he adamantly refused to let demigods join the hunt.

Kira stared sadly at the trees.

She heard the commotion in the infirmary, but she wouldn't be much help to Will. She stayed at the edge of the forest until the sky grew dark.

She heard muted arguing from Meg, Apollo, and Chiron, but she didn't move.

Maybe if she had done the race, she could have kept them safe.

Maybe if she had somehow talked them out of running the race, they'd be safe.

Maybe-

"Kira."

She turned to face Connor. "Connor." She said sadly, before returning her glance to the trees.

"Get some sleep." He said.