xxv. Matching Hoofprints on Foreheads

Kira was not where she wanted to be.

Where she wanted to be? Leo's arms.

Where was she? Gods know where.

She looked around, ignoring her throbbing headache.

She was in some sort of dark room, and she couldn't make out much except a hole in the ground, and when she looked over, she couldn't see the bottom, just dark rock falling, a faint red glow in the middle.

See that, dear? A woman's voice echoed across the room, and Kira almost lost her footing. The voice belonged to Gaea, but this time, there was no face.

"See what?" Kira asked. "The hole?"

She stopped herself from mocking the hole.

One way trip to Tartarus, the voice echoed. I'd be more careful if I were you.

"Don't you want me dead anyway?" Kira asked her, trying to keep the spite out of her voice. She didn't want to provoke Gaea, but she was begin to stop caring what gods and titans thought about her. It was exhausting work to just not become a bug splatter on Hera's foot. God, that woman was a pain.

Gaea laughed, and the walls seemed to shake.

Oh, child, she spoke as if Kira was four. She was beginning to wish she was. I have big plans for you. You cannot die.

Kira frowned. She didn't like that Gaea had plans for her. She assumed they were not good.

"What kind of plans?" She asked, although she didn't expect an answer. "And if I can't die, why did you ask Piper to choose? She could have beat me, and I could have died,"

Gaea laughed again.

Piper cannot beat you. But you already knew that. Her voice rattled in her head, worsening the headache. I'm asking you to join me.

"No."

You're going to side with your father? And Hazel, who hates you for no reason? And Jason and Piper, who always seems to leave you and Leo out of their date. Annabeth and Percy, who will always believe they are better then you?

"They are," Kira said shrugging. "And Hazel? I won't release a giant on her because she gave me a nasty look. Piper and Jason are happy, and I'm happy for them. My father has no control on who he is."

Gaea didn't respond. A strong gust of wind blew past.

"Stop trying to turn me against my friends, Dirt Face." She spoke with power. "It won't work."

Gaea was silent only for a second. Then another gust of wind, much stronger.

Then you have made your choice, she growled.

Another gust of wind, and Kira lost her balance. She fell backwards, falling into the pit behind her.

Piper walked onto the ship with Blackjack and three unconscious demigods. Hazel and Frank tended Blackjack, and Annabeth, Piper, and Leo took them to get tended.

"What happened?" Leo demanded for the millionth time, running his fingers over Kira's knot on her forehead, identical to Percy's.

"Leo," Piper said, "are we ready to sail?"

"Yeah, but—"

"Set course for Atlanta. I'll explain later."

"No!" He exclaimed, furious. "My girlfriend is unconscious, and you can't tell me what happened! She's got a hoof print of her forehead!"