xxxix. Percy Becomes an Thesaurus

❝own the strength in your softness❞

own the strength in your softness

bridgett devoue

△△△

Kira hadn't meant to fall asleep.

And she regretted it very much.

As her other nightmares, it was plagued with demon grandmothers, her mother, Leo, and Gaea.

She woke up crying again. She managed to wipe them before Annabeth saw, but she was too wrapped up in Percy to notice anyway.

She smiled sadly at the couple, running her fingers over an old scar.

Damasen loomed over the bed. "There is no time, little mortals. The drakon is returning. I fear its roar will draw the others—my brethren, hunting you. They will be here within minutes."

"What will you tell them when they get here?" Annabeth asked.

Damasen's mouth twitched. "What is there to tell? Nothing of significance, as long as you are gone."

He tossed them all drakon-leather satchels. "Clothes, food, drink."

"Thank you so much," Kira said, putting it over her head.

"The Prophecy of Eight," Annabeth blurted.

Percy had already climbed out of the bed and was shouldering his pack. He frowned at her. "What about it?"

Annabeth grabbed Damasen's hand, startling the giant. His brow furrowed. His skin was as rough as sandstone.

"You have to come with us," Annabeth pleaded. "The prophecy says foes bear arms to the Doors of Death. I thought it meant Romans and Greeks, but that's not it. The line means us—demigods, a Titan, a giant. We need you to close the Doors!"

The drakon roared outside, closer this time. Damasen gently pulled his hand away.

"No, child," he murmured. "My curse is here. I cannot escape it."

"Yes, you can," Annabeth said. "Don't fight the drakon. Figure out a way to break the cycle! Find another fate."

Damasen shook his head. "Even if I could, I cannot leave this swamp. It is the only destination I can picture."

"There is another destination. Look at me! Remember my face. When you're ready, come find me. We'll take you to the mortal world with us."

"You can see the sunlight and stars." Kira added.

The ground shook. The drakon was close now, stomping through the marsh, blasting trees and moss with its poison spray. Farther away, Kira heard the voice of the giant Polybotes, urging his followers forward. "THE SEA GOD'S SON! HE IS CLOSE!"