feelings are not a game to play

"Everyone gather around" came the booming voice of Emily to gain the dancer's attention. It didn't take much for the studio head to be listened to as she was a very intimidating woman. "I've decided that it's time for us to enter our first competition so you can really get a taste for what it will be like at regionals. The first competition will be a duet, and I've chosen Noah and...Harper." Harper was shocked to her core about being chosen, she had though that Richelle would be the obvious choice but apparently not.

Emily beckoned the pair over with an uncharacteristically bright smile on her face. Harper looked towards Richelle whom she expected would be bitter about not getting the solo but was actually smiling encouragingly towards her best friend.

"Okay you two, I'm expecting a lot from this duet so don't let me down. You can have the studio after group rehearsals and Daniel will be around to help you with choreo should you need it." The blonde explained to them in her usual stern tone and left so that Richelle could lead the rehearsal.

The only thought that was constantly running through Harper's mind in rehearsals was the duet. She couldn't see how herself and Noah would be able to get past the awkwardness. The previous night when he confessed his feelings, she had kind of left him hanging until she was certain that Noah was sure of himself.

As the rehearsal came to a slow end and the others were cooling down, Harper made her way into Emily's office. She still didn't know why she had been chosen for the duet. Why her above everyone else?

"Hey Miss Emily." She greeted nervously as the woman was still very intimidating. "I was just wondering, why did you choose me for the duet? Surely Richelle's a better dancer than me, or even Jacquie or Piper." Emily sighed with a small smile to the self-doubting girl and placed her pen down.

"Harper you need to be more confident in yourself. I know Richelle is a flawlessly technical dancer but so are you, and you and Noah just have a stronger connection." Harper highly doubted that was true for right then, but she was appreciative of Emily's words. "I'm so proud of how hard you've worked and I really think you deserve some recognition for that."

"I promise I won't let you down." The girl said in a more confident and most certainly more determined voice. She left the office and saw that Noah was waiting with Richelle who was going to help them with the choreography.

They worked for about forty minutes to come up with the concept and create movement based around it. They came up with some good material but the atmosphere was definitely a little different. Richelle said they should all take a quick break and Noah saw it as his chance to clear things up with Harper.

"Richelle, could I talk to Harper alone for a minute?" Noah asked her with wide eyes suggesting it was important. Richelle's narrowed as she knew what he was planning on doing, she didn't yet know that he had already told Harper about his feelings.

"No, it's probably best if you keep anything secretive to yourself for now." Richelle replied forcefully through gritted teeth. She was desperate for her best friend not to find out because she knew Noah wasn't certain of his feelings.

"Why do I feel like you guys know something I don't?" The blonde asked innocently as she readjusted her ponytail, eyeing the two of them suspiciously. Richelle knew she had to come clean.

"Noah has feelings for you." She told the girl but it was not as dramatic a reveal as anticipated. Harper didn't look shocked in the slightest because she already knew.

"I know he told me last night, but I'm not sure how to feel about it yet and I told you that Noah." She replied turning her attention to the boy who looked as though he would rather be anywhere else. Noah was aware that Richelle wasn't going to stop there, she was going to tell Harper about his feelings for Jacquie as well.

"But Harps, he likes-" Noah urgently cut in for the blonde before she could finish which made her roll her eyes in frustration. Nobody cut off Richelle.

"You, just you." Noah said with pleading eyes that made Harper's heart flutter. It was a great feeling to know that someone she cared about so dearly for so many years reciprocated her feelings. But at the same time, she had spent so long focusing on dance and getting over Noah that she wasn't really sure what she felt anymore. A part of her still wanted to be with him.

"No, he also likes Jacquie." Richelle revealed to her best friend who's expression instantly transformed from hopeful to devastated. She hated to be the one to make Harper look like that, but she had a right to know. The blonde flickered her attention between her two friends with a pained expression, she was in disbelief. She had been so elated and her mood had dropped so suddenly.

"So you like both of us?" She asked in a small voice. The blonde looked so vulnerable and fragile as she watched Noah nodded uncomfortably as he watched the girl, cautiously unaware of what she would do next.

"Harps, I'm really sorry I didn't tell you. I just thought that if you knew and you felt the same way it would help me realise who I like more." He tried to explain himself but Harper's whole body had gone numb. She couldn't really comprehend what she was hearing. "Harper."

Her eyes were fixated on Noah, her heart was breaking all over again and it was his fault yet again. She knew it was difficult for him to have two girls to choose from, but she couldn't put herself through it again, not after everything they had been through.

"I'll make the choice for you then." She said fiery as she sniffed back tears that threatened to fall at any moment. Both Noah and Richelle looked disappointed at her answer, although the latter expected it. She went to storm out of the studio but Noah blocked her path by standing at the door.

"Please don't leave, I can't lose you." The brunette pleaded desperately as his jaw clenched.

"Noah we can be friends if you really want, but I'm not just going to wait around for you to make up your mind." Noah didn't budge but he could tell the girl was getting more and more frustrated by the second. "Just move out the way. If you want Jacquie you can have her, but don't mess with my feelings along the way."

The boy stared at her for a moment more and then turned his attention toward Richelle. The shorter blonde nodded at him with an equally distraught expression and Noah sighed before stepping aside. He had hoped Harper would change her mind, but without a second glance she had brushed past him. Noah feared he had ruined everything.