the competative nature of richelle

After finding out the day following the vote for Noah to leave that he would actually be staying, things had already kicked into high gear. Knowing that they had to compete in the senior advanced division at regionals put everyone on edge. Michelle and Emily had finally started assigning dances and it was time for the contemporary number to be chosen.

Harper was not considered for the hip hop dance, not to her surprise, although she was one of the dancers chosen to compete for contemporary. The thing that worried Harper the most was that they were put in pairs. There was Ozzy and Kingston, Piper and Davis and herself and Richelle. Competing against Richelle was the worst thing that could have happened because they were best friends of course, but she also knew how amazingly talented Richelle was and it would be incredibly difficult to beat her.

"Alright guys, I want you to work on what you're gonna do for an hour and then it will be time to battle." Noah announced as he took a seat at the side of the room. Harper walked to a space with Richelle so they could start practicing, but neither one of them looked happy.

"Listen Harps, I love you but I want this more than anything." Richelle said in as sweet a tone as she could manage. Harper expected nothing less from her best friend, she knew Richelle far too well.

"And I do too, so let's just work on our choreo and no hard feelings?" Richelle looked pleasantly surprised and was glad that Harper was taking it well. Perhaps she underestimated her. "I think for my story I'm going to do about the struggle of trying to keep going when everything seems like it's against you and-" Richelle abruptly cut in before Harper could even finish.

"I don't think it needs a story. If you have good enough movement then it's not necessary." The shorter of the two blonde's explained. Harper expected nothing less really as Richelle had never been able to connect her feelings to dance and that was what held her back.

"Okay Rich, how about for today you do your thing and I'll do my thing?" Harper suggested impatiently. She really didn't want them to end up fighting over something so petty and if they stuck to themselves then it would hopefully prevent that from happening. The blonde nodded in agreement and the two of them continued practicing in silence.

As Harper practiced, her nerves began to kick in. She was no good in comparison to Richelle who had amazing tricks, impeccable technique, high jumps and flawless extensions. The blonde debated talking to Noah about it but as she glanced over to him, she remembered that he still hadn't apologised for brushing her off and not telling her what was going on the other day. She would have to do it alone.

"Okay guys, we'll have Ozzy and Kingston first, then Harper and Richelle and Piper and Davis to finish." Noah announced as they all made their way to the back of the room. Harper's vision wasn't even focused as she saw the blurry figured of Ozzy and Kingston moving across the dance floor. They were probably doing a great job but she was too nervous to even think about focusing on them. The worst part of it all was that whenever she was stressed Richelle was the one to calm her nerves, but this time she was all on her own.

"Alright next we have Harper and Richelle." Noah called after everyone had applauded for the two boys. Harper sent Richelle a small smile that the blonde returned, but she could tell that it wasn't genuine. When Richelle set her mind on something, she was always determined to achieve it.

Her heart pounded rapidly in her chest as the music to 'unsinkable' rung in her ears. Her forehead was laced in a sheet of sweat even before she had started dancing but despite all her nerves, Harper knew she had to give it her all. As she danced she felt all her fears and worried turn into energy and adrenaline, she was putting everything into her solo. Tricks, turns, leaps and above all, her heart and soul.