the heart wants what it wants

Hearing that Eldon was choreographing for the troupe made Harper extremely excited because it was always nice to have him around. Although, he did seem rather distracted. Every time he taught them a bit of hip hop choreo for their routine, he would run off then come back ten minutes later.

"Eldon," Harper called as she saw him sitting in neutral grounds alone. The man turned his attention to the younger girl and smiled his usual dopey smile. "What was up with you today? First you were running out every five minutes and then you mixed up Jacquie and Lola."

"Well don't tell anyone, but I was choreographing for both teams. I somehow managed to double book myself." He explained and to be honest, Harper expected nothing less. It was classic Eldon. She was pretty sure Michelle told he had done exactly that on her first year in A Troupe when they doing duets so she wasn't too surprised.

"Would have thought you'd learn from your mistakes but I guess not." She told him sassily and Eldon looked highly offended.

"Excuse me missy, you should be focusing on your Noah problem rather than judging me." Harper didn't respond as she knew that Eldon was right. Ever since the dance-a-thon, she had come to the realisation that she liked Noah but there was still something holding her back. "When are you gonna tell him?" Eldon asked casually as he sipped his juice innocently.

"I don't know, it's stressful to even think about telling a guy I've liked for years how I feel even though I know he likes me back." She ranted as she raked a hand through her hair that she had taken down after rehearsals.

"Just relax. You know he's crazy about you and once you tell him I just know you guys are gonna be the next step's new power couple." Eldon joked making the girl chuckle. He may have been goofy and unorganised, but he was a great honouree brother to have around.

"I guess you're right. I have to head home now though, Michelle said she's in the car." Said the girl as she stood up from her seat. "I promise I'll tell Noah tomorrow."

"See you Harper." The man waved with a wide smile on his dopey face and the girl smiled and waved in return before heading out to go home after a long day.

| | |

It was revealed to the team the next day that there would be a ballet-hip hop duet competition between the two teams to decide who would have the home studio advantage. Harper was almost glad she wasn't chosen for the duet because she felt that pressure wouldn't be good for her. It was also the day she was going to tell Noah how she felt. She assumed that by leaving it until later in the day it would give him time to spend all day practicing. That way, if they won it would add to his happiness and if they lost it might cheer him up.

As they finished up at the group rehearsal and Noah and Amy were preparing for their duet performance, Harper made her way over with about five minutes before they competed.

"Hey." She greeted him nervously as she felt that all too familiar tingling sensation inside. A large grin found its way onto Noah's face as he noticed how much she had warmed up to him. He was really hoping that she would reciprocate his feelings soon. "I just wanted to wish you good luck."

"Oh thanks." He replied smugly, almost knowing that there was something more she needed to say. "Is there anything else?"

"No," Harper replied almost too quickly, she had become so accustomed to hiding her feelings. "Well, there is but it can wait until after the competition."

"Okay, I'll see you later then. Neutral grounds?" The girl nodded timidly in response before biding him a quick goodbye and leaving the room. She felt nervous but ready. Harper knew she had waited long enough and Noah deserved to know how she felt.

She spent a lot of the day in neutral grounds catching up on homework and studying for school as it was difficult to keep up with that sort of stuff when she was at the studio all day. Luckily it didn't take too long to get through everything so she managed to complete her work just as Noah entered the café.

"Hey Harps," he greeted the girl making her jump a little as he took the seat opposite. She smiled at the boy as she put away her notes for math and looked up to face him. "So I have something pretty important to tell you." Noah told her, not entirely sure how she would react but Harper knew that she needed to go first. If she didn't tell Noah how she felt now, she might have never done it.

"Okay but me first." She said determinedly, she needed to say it as soon as possible. "I really like you too Noah, I tried to get over you but I just couldn't. Sorry it took me so long I just wanted to be sure." She revealed and although Noah wasn't all too surprised, a huge grin found its way onto his face.

"It's okay, you were worth the wait." He replied as the two gazed at each other. Noah subtly placed his right arm on the table so that his hand brushed against hers. The feeling of is hand touching her own gave Harper the same flutters inside. He went for a bold move once he had interlinked their fingers and began to lean in. Harper knew what was happening, Noah was about to kiss her. She slowly allowed her eyes to flutter closed as he got closer and closer but a presence beside the table made the two of them jerk apart. They both turned and saw a rather awkward looking Michelle stood beside the table.

"Sorry to interrupt guys but I need Noah." The blonde said in embarrassment but she seemed urgent. Harper was confused at why Michelle would need Noah, she wasn't aware they even spoke all that much.

"Um, Michelle we're kinda in the middle of something, can it wait?" Harper asked through gritted teeth as her eyes widened at Michelle. Clearly her sister was not getting the point.

"Sorry but not really, if he's going to all the choreo in time for the battle then-"

"What choreo? He already knows our choreo." Harper said completely cutting her sister off as a look of confusion overtook her features. She averted her attention towards Noah who suddenly looked very guilty and something clicked inside Harper's mind. "Are you switching sides?"

"Harper I really wanted to tell you, that's actually why I said I had something you needed to know..." the boy trailed off as he saw her facial expression. Things were almost fixed between the two of them, they were so close. She disconnected their hands and tried to think straight. She had just confessed her feelings for him, and he went and betrayed the whole team. "Why don't you come with me? We can be on TNS west together."

"They're a hip hop troop, and I can't do hip hop." She explained, she was trying to think clearly and not overreact. "Noah why do you wanna leave?"

"Because I love studio A, I feel at home there and I just don't feel like Emily and Daniel value us enough." Harper, although she hated to admit it, understood where he was coming from. There was certainly something less warm about rehearsals with Emily and studio A had a certain charm about it. She had always dreamed of dancing there.

"I get it." Both Michelle and Noah's heads snapped up to the girl in shock. Harper was not usually so understanding and she could often tend to overreact and be a little stubborn in situations like that. It was odd to hear that she was okay with it. "You should probably go and rehearse though right?"

"Right, uh well I guess I'll see you tomorrow." He said in reference to the battle. It would definitely be strange to compete against each other, things were going to be so different.