this changes everything

The lights pounded down on the stage as A troupe performed their final routine. The music to 'hold onto me' was projecting around the whole auditorium and the crowd's cheers and shouts filled everyone's ears. Harper could barely feel herself think, the adrenaline had taken over so much that she was lost in the movement. The only moment that her energy faltered was offstage as she watched Noah, he was incredible. She watched as he spun using the ropes and danced with such passion, it was so inspiring. It was one of the things she had liked most about him, but that was over.

As the team assumed their ending position, the audience erupted into applause and even Harper's broken heart couldn't dampen this moment. It was what she had dreamed of for the longest time. As the curtain fell, Michelle and Emily rushed onstage and the former instantly tackled her sister in a hug.

"I'm so proud of you Harper!" Michelle gushed as she gripped the blonde's hands in excitement before going to congratulate the rest of the team. Harper felt like she was on cloud nine, but then she realised that they hadn't actually won yet. They could only hope that things would work out in their favour.

"Could Encore, Acro Nation and The Next Step please take the stage." Called the announcer over the intercom. With many nervous sighs, the team left the wing and made their way out to face the audience once again. "The judges have made their decision, there is a tie for second place between Acro Nation and the Next Step." Harper completely phased out the voice as it continued to talk, her heart sunk to the ground.

The entire team went devastated, they had gone from a team who won internationals on their first try, to a team who lost regionals consecutively. No one could believe it, and no one knew what they could have done better.

Harper instantly felt guilty. She knew she wasn't good enough, she had always known deep down. That was why Miss Kate never asked her to audition for A troupe, that was why she had always been so jealous of Jacquie, and now it was the reason they lost regionals. Not to mention she was distracted by the whole break up situation, if she hadn't have ever left B troupe then none of this would have happened. A troupe would have won without her, it was all her fault.

As the troupe left the stage while Miss Angela was gushing over the trophy, Harper lingered behind the group. She didn't really feel like talking to anyone, partly because she wanted to be alone but also because she feared that they would blame her for the loss.

"Are you okay?" A distant voice pulled her from her trance. Her eyes focused in on Noah who had pulled her aside from the group who had returned to the changing rooms.

"We just lost." She stated blankly as she felt her eyes begin to gloss over. Harper ripped her eyes away from Noah as she continued in a trembling voice, "and it's all my fault."

"What are you talking about?" Noah asked in confusion. If there was anything he thought she would say, it certainly wasn't that. Noah wasn't even sure how it could have been all Harper's fault it it was a group dance.

"I'm not good enough, I-I should've just stayed in B troupe but instead I managed to drag the whole team down and we lost." He softly placed his hands on either shoulder so she was forced to look up at him.

"Harper listen to me, this is not your fault. I saw you in the dance, you were one of the strongest out there." Hearing that coming from Noah made her heart flutter, her mood was instantly uplifted until she remembered. They were no longer together.

"Thanks." She said appreciatively but rather dismissively as though talking to him was like a dagger in the heart, which it was. The two of them rejoined the group in silence and headed over to the foyer after packing up their bags, but they saw that Miss Angela being escorted out by security shouting screams of protest as they rushed her out of the building. Jacquie approached Davis and Kenzie, who had both joined her studio, and asked them what was happening.