PART ONE: THE QUEEN OF COURT TRIALS

"FOR ONE LAST TIME, I WILL ASK YOU AGAIN," the prosecutor said, asking its own witness sitting on the witness stand. "Nakita mo ba talaga ang suspect, by your own eyes, na sinasaktan nito ang biktima hanggang mawalan ito ng malay?"

Everyone's eyes got fixated at the man in front. No one was even moving a nerve. Everyone was anticipating what would be his answer.

"Yes," he finally answered without even the slightest doubt in his voice. "I did."

Murmuring.

I closed my eyes hardly.

Ah, ang ingay.

"OBJECTION YOUR HONOR!"

That was, perhaps, what everyone was anticipating about. Like how the defense will defend the accused.

Sa totoo lang, isa lang naman ang dahilan kung bakit ko tinanggap itong kasong ito; dahil siguro it reminds me of what happened few years back.

The accused and the victim were both found unconscious in the street, both were beaten up to death. Akala nga ng awtoridad mga patay na ang na-diskubre nila. Nang dalhin sa ospital, nagkaroon ng malay ang isa at pinaratangan na pinagtangkaan s'yang patayan ng isa.

It turned out chaotic, of course, since the said 'victim' is a rising youtuber and a son of an actor whose recent television dramas were hits. When they posted the whole thing on social media, the so called 'suspect' was guilty until proven innocence. A trial by media happened.

That's why I took the case. This time, as a defender.

This may be the product of what I have experienced from my previous trials.

Prosecutors should not prosecute just because that's our job. They should prosecute because there's a reason to do so. If there's none, don't do it just for the nature of your job. Side with the truth and nothing but the truth.

I sighed.

Pakiramdam ko nga ay na-uulit lang ang mga nangyari pero sa ibang mga tao naman at ibang konteksto.

"THE PROSECUTION IS GASLIGHTING THE CLAIM AND MAKING IT SEEMS LIKE A FACT!"

I smirked as I heard the term my co-public defender said.

GASLIGHTING.

A psychological manipulation in which a person manipulates someone and makes them question their own memory, perception, or judgement.

"THE PROSECUTION WAS ONLY ASKING CLARIFYING QUESTIONS, YOUR HONOR," the prosecution said.

"THAT WAS A CLAIM WITHOUT AN EVIDENCE, YOUR HONOR. I SUPPOSED, WE SHOULD WARN THE WITNESS ABOUT THE POSSIBLE PERJURY IF HE FALSELY TESTIFIES."

Damn, take that!

The prosecutor gulped, can't think of any rebuttal to say.

"Prosecution may do so," the judge said.

The prosecutor closed his eyes hardly and later looked at the witness.

"Article 183 of the Revised Penal Code states that perjury is committed when a person, knowingly makes untruthful statements under oath. You may face six to two years in prison by doing so. Are you still confident about your claim?"

For the first time, the man was caught off guard.

There was a long pause of silence until the man finally said, "Yes."

"Alright," the prosecutor. "Can you tell us what happened that night?

"Sure," he said.

"Go on."