PART THIRTEEN: THE MOMENT HER HEART BEATS

WE KISSED.

The fact that we did never put me to sleep for the following days.

I mean...

JUST WHY WOULD WE?!

What happened seemed like a sudden burst of emotions. It was like we were both bewitched to let that happen. Since then, we started getting awkward around each other. We didn't even look at each other's eyes, not even once, not even close.

I can still feel his lips at random times, as if it was already imprinted on mine—which was something that always made me wanna scream. If it was because of embarrassment or whatsoever, I had no idea at all.

On the other hand, Tyler, Newt, and I continued solving the cases. We already acquired fingerprints and DNA samples from the crime scenes. We were just waiting if it will match someone.

"DAMN!" I heard Newt exclaimed. "THE ANTI-TERROR BILL WAS SIGNED!"

I looked at him, shocked.

"I thought that would get veto-ed?"

Getting veto-ed is when the president refused to sign a bill that passed the Senate and the Congress.

"Well, I guess not," Newt said. "It will take effect by next month."

"I actually like what the Anti Terror bill states," Tyler said. "But our current government, I guess, does not have the power yet to execute it."

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"The Anti terror bill states that activism is not considered a terrorism unless there will be violence," said by Tyler.

He looked at us.

"But with or without the violence, cops may just label anyone as a terrorist knowing how incompetent some, not all, of them are."

"True," said by Newt.

"Can you still remember how that certain senator violated the Quarantine protocol when we had a pandemic and endangered loads of people but no action was made against him? Can you still remember how a police officer threw out a  birthday party despite the government prohibited mass gathering? On top of that, they did not take actions to discipline him because thry said they were hard to replace but the jeepney drivers who protested WITHOUT violence got arrested for violating mass gathering protocol?"

We nodded, remembering those controversial times.

"That's why this Anti terrorism law would not be as effective as they foreseen it. Their kind of law does not aim to protect the people, but to control the poor and tolerate the ruling elites."

Tyler gulped.

"I had been supporting the government for their efforts I perceived as beneficial to its constituents, because my dad, I mean, both of my dads—"

"The former Chief Justice and the fuck boy?" I asked.

He smiled.

"Yeah," he said. "They were part of the government and I personally witnessed how they struggle everyday but this Anti Terror Bill, this whole damn thing,  it's a plain stupidity. In order for it to go well, a good justice system must be present—which is something we highly lack."

"True," I said. "How can you expect the law enforcers to exert the law well when they can't abide it themselves? Imagine their incompetent ass red tagging people who just speak for their rights and eventually got arrested and later on freed but the emotional trauma will be there and it will create a chilling effect for others not to speak up otherwise they'll experience the exact same thing."