PART SEVEN: THE NEW NORMAL

"This honorable court of the Republic of the Philippines with the Honorable Judge Jean Clyde Perez is now in session. All rise."

I closed my eyes.

Ah, shit. Ito na.

"Good morning, ladies and gentlemen. Calling the case of the People of the Philippines versus the accused. Are you both ready?"

"Ready for the People, Your Honor," the prosecutor said.

I gulped.

"Ready for the defense, Your Honor," I said.

The judge looked at us. "Will the clerk please swear in the jury?"

The clerk stoop up.

"Will the jury please stand and raise your right hand?"

When everyone stood up, he cleared his throat.

"Do each of you swear that you will fairly try the case before this court, and that you will return a true verdict according to the evidence and the instructions of the court, so help you, God?  Please say I do."

"I do," everyone of them said.

"You may be seated," the clerk then said.

"Prosecution, would you like to start the opening statement?"

"Yes, Your Honor," he said and stood in front.

"The evidence in this case will prove that on Sunday, July 26, the accused tried to poison my client out of insecurity so she would not be able to attend their university pageant. The accused and my client are known as rivals in their school be it academically or extra curricular. On July 24, Friday, while rehearsing for the pageant, the accused warned my client not to attend the pageant otherwise she'd dig her own grave. Not too long after, my client was food poisoned. There was no other suspect than the accused herself."

I can feel the crowd was looking at me now, murmuting on how would I be able to defend it.

My client with her full pack make up was sitting beside me, her legs were trembling.

"Defense?" the judge.

I stood up.

"First of all, Your Honor," I said and put my chin up. "Tama s'ya."

There was a loud murmuring. Even the prosecutor was caught off guard.

"Guilty po kami."

"GIRL!" my client exclaimed to me, close to crying.

"Hindi ba?" I asked her. "Buang, wala tayong ebidensya na inosente ka."

There were loud noises.

"Your Honor, wait ha," I said and turned to my client.

"I-depensa mo naman ako!" she said, crying.

"You admitted to me you did the crime, akala ko ba mag plea tayo ng guilty?!"

"Defense?"

"Wait, Your Honor, two minutes!" I said and turned to my client who's now crying. "Ano ba, ginawa mo ba talaga?"

"Hindi ko alam!" she said. "Lasing ako nun.."

I closed my eyes hardly.

"Sarap mo sabunutan!"

I then turned to the judge.

"Your Honor, hindi pa naman recorded 'yun ano? We've changed our mind, eh."

They laughed.

I forced a smile.

"Anyway," I said and stood in front. "My client was accused of food poisoning her known rival in school. However, the only evidence the prosecution has is a circumstantial evidence. There is no definite evidence that the accused did the crime. It would be unfair for her to be accussed of something that is not yet proven. And today, in this court, the prosecution must prove the accused is guilty otherwise, she is innocent."