PART FIVE: 'DEFEND ME, ATTORNEY'

THIRD PERSON POV

Inside the operating room, two nurses were present; one was a scrub and one was a surgical technician who had to ensure that the surgeon had the necessary tools. There was also a doctor assistant, one resident, and an anesthesiologist.

“For anyone who are scared, I’m giving you enough time to back out from a possible lawsuit, the door is open,” Traise said and everyone laughed. But no one was planning to back out. When he saw it, he smiled.

“Alright,” he said. “The hanahaki disease starts with the heart, and the root just scatters from heart, to the lungs and to the throat. With that, our goal is to take that root out of the heart. So we will do the open heart surgery and the duration is six hours. But since the patient is young, we have to make the time lesser than that. Are we clear?”

“Yes, doc,” they all said.

“Then let’s start," Traise said and he heaved a sigh. “Has she given enough anaesthesia?”

“She is asleep and pain free, doc” the anaesthesiologist said.

“Alright,” Traise said.

He closed his eyes hardly and tried to calm himself.

He's a doctor and someone's life was at risk.

There was nothing that he can do.

He had to do it.

He had no other option.

It was more than just a job.

It was more than just a principle.

This was what he pledged for.

He bit his lower lip, remembering every knowledge he had learned in the medical school.

Thing is, sa libro lang n'ya nakita ang lahat.

Sa libro lang n'ya nabasa ang tungkol sa Hanahaki Disease.

Ni mga matagal nang doktor ay hindi pa nakahawak ng ganitong operasyon dahil napaka rare ng ganitong bagay.

He sighed.

Wala nang atrasan 'to.

"May the odds be with me," bulong niya sa sarili. "Afterall, I'm the Jack of all Trades."

He looked at everyone.

"Let's make things smooth," he said and he finally uttered the starting point.

“Scalpel, please."

The clock started ticking.

Traise then placed the scalpel on the patient's chest and in few seconds, blood flowed as he opened her up.

"Gauze," Traise said. "More gauze."

The nurse assisted him.

"Doc, what are you doing?" one asked.

"We have to directly open her up to see what's inside—"

“That’s 11 inch!” the assistant said
“We only need 8-10 inch deep cut!”

“T-That’s 11?” Traise asked.  He looked confused with sweats on his face. "S-Sorry.”

“You seem panicking, can you really do it?” tanong ng assistant.

“There’s no backing out,” Traise said. “We opened her up already.”

Traise then started opening up her breast bone.

“Retractor.”

Traise then handled it, and in a minute, the heart now got exposed. Everyone got shocked on what they saw: the heart along with the lungs had roots surrounding it, as if blocking it from gaining blood and nutrients while some parts were even flowering.