PART EIGHTEEN: CRACKING THE CODES

"PROSECUTOR NEWT DAHMER, YOU ARE UNDER ARREST."

My eyes widened.

It got accompanied by a deafening silence as if everyone just zoomed out.

Heinz dropped the bottle he was carrying, didn't know what to say or react.

In a sudden, Newt got stupefied. He wasn't even uttering anything, he had no facial expression as well, he was just staring at Tyler, his eyes were glaring.

"No wonder why you were always the one who first discovered your so-called hints. You implanted them and spied on us. The fingerprint did not match any residents here because aftervall, they were all yours."

Tyler's eyes were flaring with anger.

"It's been a while, you fucking snake."

Newt wasn't saying anything, he was emotionless for few seconds, until in a snap, a dark smirk flashed on his lips.

"As expected from you, Tyler. You never disappoint. You caught me."

Just then, the police handcuffed him and he was dragged out of the room. Everyone was looking at us, trying their best to have a grasp of the situation.

In a snap, Tyler, Heinz, and me were left in the room, no one can talk between us. Heinz even lost his strength and almost stumbled, his jaw partly dropped.

Tyler then turned his back to walk away along with the authorities when I halted him. He just looked at me professionally and smiled.

"I think that's self-explanatory," he said before he walked away.

Just like that, Heinz and I were left in the room. Pareho kaming gulat at hindi makakibo.

So it was Newt, all along...

But...

But how can he?!

I mean, yes, he had a history of betrayal, like of what he did to Courtney and Traise pero 'yung aabot sa ganito katindi na he will kill people and will conspire to kill people?

That's when things came to me like a wildfire. I held my chest as the pain started to swallow me.

What the hell?!

The emotions that I felt were coming to me all at once and I can no longer handle them.

All this time the killer was with us.

The human eye made sense.

He was watching because he knows what we are doing.

The time, he was telling us perhaps that it will take us forever to capture him since he was having fun fooling us.

The 'I am in between'. He was always the thirdwheel and he had long been hinting about it!

The 'I watch over you' because whenever we argue, he was just there, sitting, observing.

The 'I am part of the whole.'

Why were we so stupid to make sense of it in a deeper scale when it literally suggested that he is one of us?

During the time that we were joking bout it, was he laughing because of the jokes or because he was mocking?

Natatawa ba siya dahil napakadali na ng mga clues pero hindi pa rin namin napapansin?

I felt as if something just pierced my heart.

I treated him like a friend, like a brother I genuinely care about, only to get played and betrayed this way.