{1} Safety

*Rylin*

I woke up early today. I was going to the lake before I had to get to my job...as the pack's slave.

Every wolf is thirteen when they shift, but then there's me. I couldn't shift. I have some of the abilities of a wolf, just not as strong, but stronger than a human. I don't have my own wolf either. I'm just an enhanced human.

The pack treats me like shit. They make me their slave. My parents don't care. They saw me as a freak. Luckily we were never really close, or I'd actually feel hurt that they didn't care.

I had to leave my room very quietly. Everyone in the house had super hearing, one of the abilities I didn't have. Wolves can hear a bird chirp from across town. I had a normal human hearing.

After making it safely out the back door of the packhouse, I walked to the lake. On my way I tripped and hit a log, it cut straight through my knee and blood started to come out. It wasn't enough to hurt or be fatal but it was enough for a wolf to smell and track me out here. So I quickly ran, like a stupid human because super-speed was not one of my abilities.

When I made it to the lake, I quickly stripped my clothes off and jumped in, letting the cut take care of itself.

This lake was peaceful. I used to come with Stephanie, my best friend. But her being an omega resulted in her being beat to death. The worst part, she was defending me when it happened. I blame myself every day for it. I just wish it would've been me not her.

Her family shamed her for being an omega, apparently, her mom had an affair with one and she didn't even know. Her family being the big bad beta's they are, hated her and she became a pack slave alongside me.

Once I finished my swim, I quickly dried off with a towel I had hidden the week before. Seeing my knee had already healed. I could heal, but it took a while, not like everyone else whose wound healed in a matter of seconds. I got dressed and made my way back to the packhouse.

While walking through the forest, I heard a twig snap. I quickly turned my head to see maybe thirty or forty bright yellow gold eyes in the dark, shining at me. Wolves. I slowly started walking backward only to hit a big body and drop to the floor. I look up to see Max, a stupid bitch.

"What do you think you were doing out so early?" He asked, his eyes still glowing. I wish my eyes glowed like that. Then at least I'd have wolf eyes and have something 'wolfy' about me.

"N-nothing." Great, I freaking stuttered. I wanted to sound normal.

"Yea...sure," he said. Then the next thing I know, everyone around me was taking their clothes off and shifting. Max was the biggest of course, with his dark black fur and bright gold eyes. But he drooled a lot too when he shifted. I honestly don't think it's normal. I told him to get it checked once because I was being snappy that day for some reason. I said maybe he had rabies and then the next thing I knew I passed out because he suffocated me.

Now all the wolves were circling around me and closing me in. I was trapped. I didn't even have super speed or strength to be able to super jump away. I am good at martial arts and gymnastics, I used to take classes. That was of course before everyone learned I couldn't shift and then held me captive at the packhouse. But as of this moment, cartwheels wouldn't help me against forty mean wolves.

Once they were all close enough, I gave up on trying to find a way out. I just stood there ready to take whatever they brought to me. Then I heard a howl. It was strong and mighty, it was Max. That was his cue to the other wolves to attack.

They all came after me. I didn't even scream. I just hoped that this time they would finally end me. There was biting, scratching, growling, and lots and lots of drool, who I could only believe was Max.

After Max gave them a howl to get away from me but not leave, he stood in front of me. His eyes were still glowing, but you could see hatred and disgust in them. He started to growl, which made me flinch. He leaned down and clawed my ribcage, making me scream. Then he bit my neck and lastly, I knew he was going to go for my heart, the way he kept staring at my chest, I knew that's what he was after. I laid there ready for him to finally kill me, and then I'd be free.

He started leaning with his big fangs ready to eat me, but in a flash, I heard his whine and then saw him flying in the air before finally hitting a tree and being knocked out unconscious.

The only words I heard before passing out were by someone I've never met, or felt in the pack.

"Don't worry. You're safe now." He said. Then everything went blank.