{10} A Much Needed Explaination

*Rylie*

"Rylie?"

I quickly turned around to see Alek. His gaze went from my eyes down to the picture in my hand. His eyes widened when he saw the photograph.

He started walking toward me for the picture but I quickly dodged him and moved out of his reach.

"Ry-"

"No," I demanded. "You better tell me why he looks exactly like me," I said holding the picture out.

"I- I don't know." He said.

"Don't lie, Alek! Who the hell is this and why do we look the same. And why is wearing my necklace?"

"I'm not lying. Can...can we just sit so I can explain?" He said pointing to the couch. He went over to close the door but then saw the doorknob on the floor.

"You broke the door." He chuckled. He was trying to lighten the mood but he quickly shut up when he saw my death glare.

He sat in front of me and began speaking. "His name is Dominik. He was my first mate."

The words that just came out of his mouth made me flinch. He lied. He told me I was his first. In all his four hundred years of living, he said he never had a mate until me.

"I know I told you I never had a mate before, but it was because I didn't know how you would react if you had known I had one. Or that you looked exactly alike. I met him in 1572."

"1572? That was the year you turned. Did he...?"

Alek nodded. "He was a vampire. A really old one. Born in the 9th century actually."

"Is he-"

Alek shook his head. "He died. Hundreds of years ago."

"How do we look alike?" I asked.

"I don't know. I swear I don't know. When I first saw you, I thought you were him, but when I saw you with a pack of wolves and both of your different personalities, I knew you couldn't be him." He took a pause before speaking again. "You know how I said I work in accounting. Well, I don't. I've been researching. Trying to find why you guys look alike, but as of right now I haven't found anything."

I nodded before standing up. I was going to leave but he quickly grabbed my arm to turn me around.

"Please don't be mad." He pleaded.

"I'm not." I sighed. "I'm not mad that you lied about your job or having a mate. I sort of figured." I shrugged.

"You did?" He drew his eyebrows together.

I nodded. "Every supernatural being has a mate. You may have been born human, but he was a vampire at the time your souls were bonded. You were meant to be mates. You were destined to become a vampire so you can be together. It just happens to be sad he died." He cringed when I mentioned his ex-mate's death.

"I'm not mad you lied about having a mate or being an accountant. I'm mad you lied about who he was." There was sadness in his eyes. As if he thought I'd break up with him right now. "But I want to help you. I want to know why I look like him. If there is anything I can do, I want to do it."

He smiled and leaned down to kiss my lips before I stopped him.

"Was this necklace his?" I asked. I didn't want the answer to be what I was thinking but I needed him to tell me.

He avoided my eyes and nodded shamefully.

"I'll be sleeping in my own room tonight," I said as I took the necklace off. He quickly looked up and spoke.

"No please, Rylie-"

I shook my head. "I just need some time," I said, then I handed him the photograph and the necklace before walking out.

Was I too hard?

No.

I couldn't have been. He lied. And then gave me something that was his ex-lovers. Something that belonged to someone else who he had loved. And I couldn't process how he could just give me that when it meant something else for him and someone else.