XVIII. Hope

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN: HOPE

"A lone pair shall travel far and wide

to find the creator of the gold and snakes

bribed with what he wants the most

to avoid the inescapable at all costs." Travis repeated for the third time.

"Correct." Ellie said, exasperated.

The campers were all sat around the campfire, now discussing Ellie's quest. Since she technically didn't receive it at the campfire last night, they were forced to wait an entire day to talk about it. Ellie stood facing all of them, which was certainly a new experience. Her whole eight years at Camp Half Blood, she couldn't remember a time she addressed the camp like this. She had always been a undetermined kid thrown in the Hermes cabin, who would care what she had to say?

The three new campers that Ellie had extracted left that morning for their quest already. Leo had been able to get the dragon from the woods and tame it to become their transportation.

"How do you even know you're apart of this prophecy?" Drew said, not even bothering to look up at her.

Ellie knit her eyebrows, biting her lip. "Rachel only received it once I was in front of her."

Drew rolled her eyes. "C'mon, she gets a prophecy every month or whatever. It could be in front of anyone."

Ellie shifted uncomfortably, trying to not succumb to the pressure around her. All fifty campers eyes were on her, and it was a big difference from just months ago. She glanced around nervously, eyes falling upon none other then Connor. He grinned, shooting a double thumbs up and a wink. He mouthed "You got this." Ellie straighten up, clearing her throat.

"Avoid the inescapable at all costs?" Ellie spoke clearly. "This clearly means Harmonia's necklace. Now, will you shut up long enough for me to plan this?"

That shut up Drew pretty quickly. She huffed, picking at her nails, but Ellie could tell she had gotten under her skin. If anything, Drew hated to be called out for something or be embarrassed in front of others.

"A lone pair?" Annabeth said from the front of the gathering, beside Rachel and Chiron. "That clearly only means two. But, we always send three. Something bad always happens when we send another number."

Chiron cleared his throat. "We must assume that this quest is an exception. It clearly states two."

"But, Chiron," Annabeth begged. "You remember what happened last time, don't you? Bianca and Zoë-"

The fire died down a few colors. Annabeth blushed as the demigods shuffled sadly as they remembered the failed quest.

"This won't be like that one," Ellie said, straightening up. "The prophecy says two."