XXXVII. Child Devouring Menace

CHAPTER THRITY-SEVEN: CHILD DEVOURING MENACE

Ellie realized a few things as the next few moments occurred

The two were making their way to each other after a frozen eye contest, Connor pushed past the campers and Ellie said excuse me, but they made their way to each other all the same.

There were a few moments of silence as Connor's eyes skimmed across her face, trying to read her. Ellie had a talent for hiding her emotions, but it never seemed to work on Connor Stoll.

They embraced. A long, dramatic embrace that probably had Aphrodite squealing on Mount Olympus, because whats a love story without some conflict?

Ellie sniffled, tightly wrapping her arms around his back, desperately clinging to his warmth. Oh, how she missed it, even after just one day.

He wrapped an arm around her shoulders and pulled her close, gently rubbing her arm. Despite the tiredness that consumed her, it fluttered at the feeling of her body pressed against his. She sunk into the warmth of his side, appreciative of the simple gesture. His touch made the room warmer somehow, her future within its walls seeming a little less bleak.

Connor Stoll was her fatal flaw.

He was the last piece of her puzzle, the missing part that had stayed on the side of the table for so long, waiting to be placed. Her puzzle was worn away, with jagged pieces and broken pieces, but it was still a complete one.

She didn't care about her soaked clothes, or the shiver that ran down her spine from the freezing ocean water mixed with the icy air. She didn't care if the campers around them watched, she didn't care if Nero came and blasted the entire camp with a giant laser. As long as she was beside Connor.

"I'm sorry," She whispered into his chest, her hand beginning to shake, becoming overwhelmed with the events that had just occurred.

"I'm sorry," Connor said, pressing a kiss to her forehead. "I promise on the River Styx to never throw someone in the lake again."

Thunder rumbled above.

Ellie looked up from his torso. "Why would you do that?"

Connor shrugged, pulling her closer, as if that was possible. He took her trembling hands into his. She seemed to melt into his embrace. How was he always so warm...

"You're more important." Then he grinned. "Plus, it makes me have to get more creative. I'll come up with more pranks, don't you worry."

"Oh, I would never." Ellie managed a grin.

It was like nothing had ever occurred. She would admit it was mostly her fault, with the yelling and the storming away part. But looking at the beautiful boy in front of her, she forgot her own mistakes and accepted his silent forgiveness.