16

Aaron and I sit in a small coffee shop on a rainy morning.

"So, ground rules" I mention and Aaron chuckles as we remember the team splitting us up to discuss whatever we have going on. "Ground rules" he repeats and I sip my coffee as I ask "What are we calling this" and he thinks about it for a second before suggesting "A tryst" and I weigh the word with a nod in agreement.

"Okay, so no surprise visits. Everything has to be scheduled" I recite Penelope's words and he nods before saying "I would like for you to meet Jack, but we can just introduce you as a friend from work" and my eyes widen. "You want me to meet your son" I ask and he sips his coffee seeming to realize that he just made me nervous "I don't hide things from him" he explains and I nod with a deep breath.

"Alright" I agree and continue "We drive our own cars" so his eyebrows furrow and I explain "It's a thing I've always had. In case I need to make a quick getaway" Aaron chuckles but shrugs and says "Okay, we drive our own cars."

We exchange a glance as there's a moment of awkward silence and he asks "So no dates" and I'm not sure why but I'm surprised by the question "Like, no going out for drinks or morning-after coffee runs" he asks and I think on it for a second.

"No romantic dates, but late night drinks and brunch is alright."

He raises an eyebrow "Brunch" he asks and I nod "Favorite meal of the day" so he chuckles and agrees "Drinks or brunch only. Agreed."

We exchange warm smiles and I mention "No gifts, though" so he nods before asking "What about the holidays" and I think about that. "Only generic gifts" I negotiate and he nods "Alright. How long will this last" but that's the only question I already have a set answer to.

"It's done once I go back to work" I tell him and he nods "a little bit under 5 months, then" we set our terms by tapping our coffee cups together until he asks "Do I get to know more about you" and I smirk a bit saying "We can work to it" which brings a smile to his face before he asks "So you're a Harry Potter fan?" I blush and giggle "Oh so we're starting now" I tease and Aaron nods while sipping his coffee and I just give in "I'm a Harry Potter fan. Hermione was my idol."

He smiles sweetly and tells me "I was more into Lord of the Rings" making my eyebrows raise in surprise so he asks "What" and I just shrug "I imagined you as a football jock, not really a bookworm."

We exchange a glance and Aaron tells me "I've got the day off and Jack's spending the weekend with his Aunt Jessica and his cousins. Plenty of time for us to learn more about each other..." before he looks me up and down and continues "...among other things" with a smirk.

"My place" I offer and his eyebrows raise in surprise but I just shrug and wiggle my keys on my finger "It's not every day Aaron Hotchner is free."

#

Aaron and I sit on my bed eating a salad bowl full of berries waiting for our food delivery.

"So you played lacrosse and ran track, but not football" I repeat and he nods "You went to a Catholic boarding school from grades K-10" I state and he nods again.

"You were a cheerleader" Aaron comments holding back laughter and I roll my eyes "There's a fine line between cheerleading and gymnastics, okay" before he continues "And a skilled liar since you managed to get by without anyone except your brother knowing you were of way above average intelligence." My eyebrows raise and I shrug before he teases "No wonder the US government recruited you" making me laugh out loud. "That's a low blow" I accuse jokingly and he laughs making my stomach flutter as the icy look he wears for work melts away to the kindest pools of honey I've ever seen.