20

"Cadet Reid" I hear Agent Little calling me from the side of the obstacle course as I swing over the mud pit and land shakily before steadying myself and heading over to him. He's standing with a well-dressed brunette. My posture instinctively straightens as I approach and he introduces "Alessandra, this is Victoria Bolan. She's the Director of the European Crime Analysis Unit." I wipe my hands on my leggings as she extends her hand out for me to shake and I hesitantly take it "Alessandra isn't a fan of physical contact" explains Agent Little and Mrs. Bolan raises a judging eyebrow. "Agent Little tells me you're at the top of your class" she mentions and I nod as I start to speak but Agent Little takes over for me "She's a genius. Literally, she's got an IQ of 179 and she reads faster than anyone I've ever met" making me shut my mouth to let him continue. "She struggled with the obstacle courses at first, but when it came to physical training she took to it like a fish in water" he continues and Mrs. Bolan asks "How's your marksmanship" looking me in the eyes; she's trying to intimidate me, "98% accuracy" I answer and she seems impressed. "Have you taken a psych eval" she asks me and I nod "I've got pent-up aggression, likely from taking on the role of mediator in my family from a young age, but Dr. Harris says I'm more than qualified to be on the field" making her eyebrows furrow before she looks down at my file. I know what she's thinking. Word for word. "I've also got an eidetic memory" I answer her unspoken question and Agent Little beams as if in pride while she turns to him and hands him back my file. She gives me the once-over with a raised eyebrow before speaking at last "There's an opening in one of my teams. I want you to fill it" she states plainly and excitement courses through me. Don't smile. Act calm. "I appreciate the opportunity, ma'am" I thank her and she nods once with pursed lips "Don't disappoint me" she admonishes and I nod once before she looks me over once again and walks away. Agent Little gives me a small thumbs up before asking "Do you want to finish the course" and I nod without hesitation before he waves me away.

#

I look around my new workspace in awe as Special Agent Monroe introduces me to his team "This is Special Agent Paola Morales" he introduces me to a thin woman with cropped black hair and a kind face before introducing "Special Agent Beau Matthews" and I nod in greeting at the tall, muscular man with a perfectly trimmed beard on his jaw that matches his ginger hair. "Special Agent Michel Marchand" he introduces me to a smaller, but still just as built man with brown curls and dark circles around his eyes "Special Agent Sloane Rivers" the stern-faced, blonde woman leans against a desk with a nod in my direction. Finally, he gets to the last member of the team and I turn to see a tall, lanky man who sort of reminds me of Spencer with glasses and jet black hair. "This is Gary Wallace. Your team's technical analyst" Agent Monroe looks through the doors behind us where a group of 5; three women and two men, walk through the open area that leads to the conference rooms. "Who are they" I ask and Agent Monroe just shakes his head explaining "They're a separate team. You won't run into them much" but I don't like that answer. He shows me around the rest of the floor and tells me where I can get my drinks like tea, coffee, or water and he shows me everyone's offices before getting to mine and reminding me to call him if I need anything. "We rarely use our offices" mentions Paola while standing in my doorway and I just nod before she invites "Come to the pen. We'll get you up to speed" so I nod and follow her. We pass a completely shuttered conference room and I just know that's where the mysterious team is.

#

My first significant arrest. Ian Doyle AKA Valhalla: IRA international terrorist. As I sit in the front seat of the car with an accomplice in the backseat I recognize her "You're one of the agents I saw on my first day" I turn to face her and she nods with a stern look on her face. "I was undercover" she explains and I have to admit it takes me a bit by surprise "Alessandra Reid" I introduce myself and she nods towards me "Give me the keys to these and I'll tell you my name." I don't trust her. Something in me just doesn't trust her. "I can figure out your name without letting you go" I tell her before turning back around to look out the windshield and I hear her scoff from behind me. We get to French Interpol and I escort her in where I spot the rest of her team and recognize them instantly. They're walking around freely. "Will you let me go now" she looks at me and I unlatch her cuffs and Beau approaches me and whispers "Big dude right there with the beard. That's Sean McAllister. He's the reason there was an opening." The team sits together whispering among themselves as Monroe comes to me and asks "Think you're ready for your first interrogation" making me nod enthusiastically. "Work from the profile" Monroe instructs and I nod. Power-assertive psychopath. Explosive temper. Doesn't play games. I gather the files I need for the interrogation and take a deep breath before getting myself into character as the rest of my team watches. My cheeks flush and I let my hair fall down the sides of my face as I clumsily open the door to make myself seem like an amateur. I fumble with the files as I place them over the table; I continuously pick them up and trade their places with a separate file hearing Doyle sigh in aggravation. He's very organized. Meticulous. Driven. Dysfunction annoys him. "Sorry, Mr. Doyle" I apologize meekly as I loudly scrape the chair across the floor before having a seat. "No need to apologize now that you've stopped your constant fumbling" he retorts and I timidly drop my head. I internally roll my eyes at the man before shyly looking up once again and asking "Um...a-are you aware of your rights Mr. Doyle?"

#

I step out of the interrogation room with a proud grin on my face as Monroe beams at me and the whole team looks pleasantly surprised by my interrogation skills. Off to the side, I see the woman from earlier watching me with an analytic expression before approaching me and extending her hand "I'm Emily" she introduces herself and I nod having already known her name "I know." She smiles softly before complimenting "You did a good job in there" and I thank her before she asks "You improvised all that just from reading his profile" and I nod my head "If you annoy someone enough with your method of doing things, eventually, they'll just do it for you." Another smile comes to her lips and she regards me with wary eyes. "I like you, Alessandra" she comments and I nod once in thanks "I might actually be able to use your help with something." My eyebrows raise in curiosity and she pulls me aside, away from listening ears, before whispering "Doyle has a son. I need to take him away from this" and my eyebrows furrow as I'm confused by her words. "If Doyle ever sees the light of day again, he'll come looking for his son first thing" she explains to me and I begin to understand "You're not directly linked to this investigation. You can help me" she explains and I nod. "I'm in."