Chapter 34

Kassandra's POV

"As I look around this room, I see bright beautiful futures upon the horizon." I rolled my eyes to the back of my head and groaned internally. Can he be anymore cliché? Two weeks later, graduation finally came.

I tried to look around the auditorium to see if I spot my father but it was too difficult to see anybody in this big place.

My eyes landed on Sophia who was a few rows behind me and we smiled at each other. "You okay?" She mouthed.

I nodded my head, hoping that my smile hid my sadness. Don't get me wrong, I am pumped about what is ahead for me; I finally graduated high school and I am moving in with my best friend who is going to help me conquer the real world but for once I really thought my dad would be there for me and cheer me on but as my eyes search for him some more, I knew he wasn't part of the crowd.

"Aaron Baker." The principle called his name and Aaron walked up to the stage. Of course being the cool guy he is, he did a backflip and the crowd cheered him on. I swear if I keep rolling my eyes, my eyelids are going to get stuck.

Names were being called until finally I was next in line. I had no family to cheer me on.

"Kassandra Lawrence." The principle called my name. The crowd erupted in cheers. I took my diploma and shook his hands.

I'm finally done.

I squeezed through bodies which was difficult because everyone was huddled in their group of friends celebrating their milestone.

I finally reached Sophia and my arms immediately wrapped around her. "We did it!" She squealed.

"I know," I smiled as we parted, "did you finish packing yet?"

"Not yet, "She sighed, "I couldn't decide what to wear tonight for Aaron's party."

Aaron was having a graduation party and he invited the whole class. Surprisingly, Aaron didn't stay mad at me for long and although we don't have a friendship anymore, I m glad we are not enemies.

I threw my cap on the couch as soon as I entered my house—more like a mansion. I am not sure what will become of this house since my dad wants to sell it but it's the only home I've ever known.

I strutted up the stairs and made my way to my walk in closet which is almost empty from packing. I want to look hot tonight and go out with a bang. I may not be queen B anymore but everyone will remember my name.

I finally decided on red mini skirt and red halter top that makes my boobs look great. For shoes, I went with my red pumps. Red lipstick to finish off the look.

That night, Aaron's driveway was already filled with cars and music was blaring. Sophia and I had to walk for 15 minutes because we couldn't find parking close to his house. That is a perk I miss about being friends with Aaron; he would always make sure to save me a parking spot. But he don't fuck with me no more, oh well.

If feels different now walking to a party and people ignore me instead of trying to capture my attention. I like it. I look over at Sophia and couldn't help admire what she is wearing tonight; a black sleek dress and some thigh high black boots. I am glad she came out of her shell.

"I am going to get something to drink." She yelled over the music.

I nodded. "Can you get me a diet coke?" She walked away and faded into the crowd. My eyes roam the crowd and I noticed that not everyone is a Jefferson student. The ones that are from Jefferson had their eyes glued at me. I was use it but instead of the "Oh my God! It's Kassandra Lawrence" stare, it was a stare of pure hate. I was never one to back down from anything so of course I stare right back, mirroring their looks.