Chapter 129 [So It Was Him]

Extrapolating from her existing knowledge, there was not one killer who was extremely highly skilled.

Moreover, as a last resort, she could flash a trump card which could preserve lives.

They hid in their horse carriage as their eyes followed Baishao and Baiji, who were visiting each horse carriage to comfort the families and to gather leads.

"Progress is looking good."

Lin Mengya was seated behind the window, fixing her eyes on the few people she sent out.

She purposely asked Baizhi and Baishao to create some stir.

Meaning to attract the attention of the killers, she wondered if they would take the bait.

As Lin Mengya observed the things that were going on outside, she did not realize that her own horse carriage had veered further away into a more secluded area.

At this moment, they had entered a more densely wooded area.

"What happened? Why have we come here?"

Baisu opened the door slightly as she questioned the coachman.

"There are some problems with the shaft of the cart. Let's take a break while I fix the problems."

Lin Mengya nodded. It was no wonder she could feel that the ride was becoming bumpy a moment ago.

Baisu and Baizhi helped Lin Mengya alight from the carriage and sat down on a rock by the roadside and waited.

The procession of horses and carriages of the Crown Prince proceeded quickly as if they were fleeing for their lives. They had not even stopped to take any rests.

Despite some of the carriages stopping occasionally, the Crown Prince continued on by riding his own carriage. By this time, he was seen as a little black dot afar off.

"Master, the Crown Prince is fleeing so fast. Does he not care about the life and death of the people traveling behind him?"

Baizhi was gently massaging Lin Mengya's calf as she looked on. A feeling of contempt towards the Crown Prince rose inside her.

"His status is different from ours. The lives of all the people added together is not as precious as his. Don't you think so?"

Lin Mengya had seen through the Crown Prince's character long ago. She was not surprised to see him running away so fast when things went wrong.

How could a man with such lousy character become the emperor of Dajin?

"That's so true, Master. Are you hungry? Would you like me to go grab you some food from inside the horse carriage?"

Baizhi asked Lin Mengya as she realized that they had not eaten anything for quite some time since they set off in a hurry.

"Not far from here is the temporary imperial residence outside the boundaries of the capital. Let's try to get there first."

They supposed it would be reasonably safe in the temporary imperial residence since it was rather heavily guarded.

"Oh yes, I thought Baishao and Baiju brought with them just a few guards? Where are the rest of the guards now?"

The surrounding started getting quieter.

They also had not encountered any other horse carriages bypassing them from behind for a good while. Lin Mengya, the two girls accompanying her and the coachman were the only people at the clearing.

"You're right. How about I go up to the coachman to ask about them?"

Baizhi was starting to find it strange too. Their guards were unlikely to leave them without letting them know. Why had they disappeared?