Chapter Twenty-Five

Jamie sweetheart, I've washed and ironed everything you'd left in the laundry basket so make sure to pack it tonight okay, save you worrying about it in the morning.' Mum hands the pile of clothes over to Jamie who takes it from her gratefully.

'Oh Trudy, you didn't have to do that,' he replies, unzipping his bag and easing the washing into it gently. 'I was going to get on to it after tea.'

'Don't be silly. That's what I'm here for,' she says, flapping about as she prepares for Jamie's departure tomorrow morning. He was staying here again, something he hadn't done in a long time and was heading straight to the airport from here with Tom at the crack of dawn. I think he was trying to avoid a grand goodbye with his dad and no one could blame him. It was nice having him here though I must admit, even if it was still a little awkward between us two. And mum was in her element, making sure Jamie had everything he needed before he left us to travel the big wide world.

'Thank you.'

'You're welcome, sweetheart. Now have you got your passport? Your flight tickets? Everything sorted out into plane luggage and cargo luggage?'

'Yep! All done.'

'Good. And I was going to make you something to eat at the airport, you know how they whack up those prices there. What would you like?'

'Honestly Trudy, you've done more than enough,' Jamie begins but mum cuts him off, opening the fridge door and peering inside defiantly.

'I could do you a sandwich. We've got cheese and salami, we've got peanut butter, we've got-'

'A cheese and salami sandwich sounds perfect,' he replies, ignoring Tom's sniggers beside him.

I didn't join in with their merriment and I stuck out like a sore thumb. I didn't want Jamie to leave. It was my dream to go travelling and I was finding it hard to sit here and listen to him speaking enthusiastically of his plans.

I don't think it helps that only a few days ago Nathan had sat me down and told me that he categorically couldn't go to Canada because of his promotion. I'd begged him to change his mind but he point blank refused, said I was being unreasonable and we've been rowing ever since. That's why I'm here right now, sullenly picking at my chocolate gateaux and speaking up only when someone speaks directly to me first.

'Where are you going?' Tom asks as I jump up from my seat, leaving my dessert uneaten on the kitchen table.

'I have a headache. I need some fresh air,' I reply, avoiding his eye and pushing the back door open brusquely.

As if my feet were on autopilot, I walk towards the end of the garden and crouch down, using a hand to move some low-slung branches and ease my way through the gap in the hedge. Walking on for several minutes I find myself standing in the centre of our den and I was sad to see that it looked dilapidated and weather-beaten after laying abandoned for the last two years and for something to do, I start clearing it up. I chuck a couple of fallen pillows back up into the treehouse and rehang some netting that had come loose before plonking myself down on the wooden swing, pushing myself backwards and forwards with my foot, feeling thoroughly sorry for myself.

'I can't believe this place is still standing.'

I spin around on my seat to find Jamie leaning against a tree across the way, his arms folded casually and I wonder how long he'd been standing there.

'Did you follow me here?'

'Yes.'

'Oh...'