40

"Good morning!" Liam and I say hiding our faces as we enter the kitchen where mom and dad are having their coffee. 

"Good morning!" dad answers using the newspaper in front of him to hide, he is all serious and grumpy and I can't say I don't understand the whys. Seriously, I am lucky to have very open-minded parents because, after last night's events, I don't know how many parents would prepare breakfast for the guy their daughter had sex with.

"Good morning, kids!" mom says getting up and handing two cups of coffee to each of us giving us a sweet smile. "Take a seat, don't just stand there." we both listen to her, I take my usual place and Liam takes Criss's. For a second, I and both my parents look at Liam holding our breath all of us realizing it's the first time since the accident when someone stays there.

"Is something wrong?" Liam whispers looking at me with concern. "Did I do something wrong?"

I shake my head as mom places a plate with sandwiches, one with pancakes and some bacon in front of us. 

"No, Liam" dad addresses directly to him making me gasp and he shivers a little. What's wrong with my brain that I find this funny? "You haven't done anything wrong, don't worry about it. Now can we please eat? I am starving and I need to go to work as soon as possible." 

We eat in silence each of us staring directly to their plate and the embarrassment is so real and intense that it feels like he's the fifth person on the table. Why did last night have to happen? they were supposed to be away for another three days, how were we supposed to know they were coming earlier? It's not our fault, and sure as hell is not their fault... 

"Why did you come home so soon? Did something happen?" as soon as the words get out of my mouth Liam grabs my leg under the table squeezing it a little looking at me with a horrified expression, "what the hell are you doing" written all over his face. 

"I have to work today, something happened with one of my clients and I need to be out of town for a week or two." 

"That much? You never stay that much out of town..." I ask frowning. "Wait, is this because of last night? Dad, come on, you can't avoid me forever now..."

"No, no, no, pumpkin," dad says fast shaking his head looking at me for the first time since he came home and I am shocked I haven't seen this earlier. His eyes have huge dark circles, he looks like he hasn't been sleeping in ages, his face is pale and he looks upset, something is bothering him and it doesn't look like it's recent. 

"Dad, what's happening?" for no reason at all I feel my stomach twisting and crawling, giving me the sensation that something really bad is about to happen, but my dad looks at me forcing a smile on his face before getting up.

"I am late, pumpkin, I have to go," he says coming to kiss me before leaning into Liam whispering something into his ear. 

"But, dad... What's...?" I start as tears gathering in my eyes. I want to know what's happening, I have the right to know... Did I hurt my dad so bad that he needs to leave the house? "Dad! Dad, wait!" I scream as I try to get up and follow him out the door, but mom grabs my hand squeezing it forcing me to sit as Liam wraps his arms around me.

"What the hell is happening?" I ask mom between tears. "Where is dad going? Is he upset with me...?"

"I don't know where to start..." mom says one tear escaping her emerald eyes and that's when I see it. She's changed too, she looks older than a few days ago, her face is a reflection of dad's, dark circles around the eyes, pale skin, lack of sleep, skinnier... Mom looks like she is aged 10 years, as the weight of the world is sitting on her shoulders.