Chapter Twelve

Dedicated to those who lost their lives in the Connecticut massacre shooting. R.I.P

Chapter Twelve

"Victoria," My mother insisted.

I looked up from my glare on my food and instead glared at her. "Yes?"

She sighed impatiently and let her fork drop against her plate, letting off a big 'clank' sound when it did, "I don't know what has been wrong with you lately."

I looked over at Chet and his two kids, "Them. That's who have been making me like this."

She clicked her tongue. "I thought we were getting along these past few days."

"No mum," I protested, standing up from my spot at the little card table that was use as the kitchen table. "That was all fake. You're good at doing fake."

Chet cleared his throat and dabbed the corner of his mouth with a napkin as if we were at a five stat restaurant. "That's enough Victoria. Your mother is pregnant, and that means mood swings. She is under enough stress as it is."

That just pushed me to my boiling point. Stress!? She does not have stress.

"And you." I pointed at Chet, tears threatening to spill, "You are not my father so stop acting like him!" And with that I stormed out of the small kitchen and out into the living room where the five boys and Ava were sitting.

"Babe," Liam consoled me, once he saw me enter the room. "What happened?"

I shook my head and wrapped my arms around his torso, engulfing him in a tight hug. "I don't want to talk about it."

I felt a hand press up against my back. I turned my head and saw Niall's light blue eyes staring at me with concern. "You okay las?" He asked me, worry washed over his voice.

I shrugged lightly. "I guess." I released my hold on Liam, and sat down on one of the plush couches.

The hail turned into rain which was now pounding against the weak foundation of the cottage. I sighed, closing my eyes and just listening to the sound of the rain pound against the window pains.

~*~

"Baby you light up my world like nobody else,

The way that you flip your hair gets me overwhelmed,

But when you smile at the ground it ain't hard to tell,

You don't know,

Oh oh,

You don't know you're beautiful,

If only you saw what I can see,

You'll understand why I want you so desperately,"

I was awoken by the sound of an acoustic gutair and five voices harmonizing together to an unfamiliar tune. I sat up on the couch, not realizing I had fallen asleep and walked out onto the porch, the warm breeze fluttering around me.

Niall set his gutair down when he saw me and smiled, "Hey las!"

I waved slightly, "Hi."

Zayn, who was sitting closest to where I was stood up and offered me his seat. I shook my head, declining politely and watched as he sat back down.

"I see the rain cleared up." I noted, leaning up against the railing on the porch.

They all nodded in unison. I looked around at the five faces, all looking away from me. Something was up.

"Guys," I said slowly, "Whats going on?"

Harry cleared his throat, "Your mum said your dad called about two hours ago." Harry blurted, giving me a cheeky grin.