Chapter 26. A convenient person

She tried to cut the conversation with Jake as short as she could. Earlier his highness had been angry at him coming to the palace. Normally the palace was only opened for official visits, so he must have been upset about students coming and going as they pleased. Perhaps he thought that as Jake visited her, others would follow as well, which breached the security and the protocols.

She made Jake promise not to come anymore. Moreover she would only be staying about a week or so and she also received her phone and could contact him freely in the future, so there was no need to.

Leading him to the door of the palace she said her goodbyes, and wanted to turn around to go to her room. Despite being a patient she walked quite a bit and was actually feeling tired, but she only made one step when Jake unexpectedly stopped her.

"Alpha. I am truly glad you are alright, I don't know what I would have done if something happened to you." He said and did once again what he had wanted to do when he saw her entering the king's office. He hugged her with all his strength, even forgetting her wounds in the process.

She was stunned by his familiarity towards her, but considering how close they had gotten these past few months, she did not stop him, she only gently patted his back with her hands.

"It is the last time you will ever go somewhere alone. The next time, me... the entire pack will be with you. We will never permit for such a thing to happen again." He affirmed more like a whisper in her ear.

She nodded and smiled a bit, she really felt her pack's care towards her. It was not a feeling she was used to, but it wasn't a bad sentiment at all. Releasing her from his embrace, Jake finally walked away towards the door, this time really leaving.

She turned around once more, wanting to climb the stairs leading to her room, when she came face to face with Salas's eyes as he was at the top of the stairs. She walked slowly up the stairs as she was a bit shy seeing him, wondering if he had seen the embrace between her and Jake.

There were no rules stating watchers could not date each other or be so close to one another, but what if he had misinterpreted the situation and it actually bothered him considering this was the Royal palace. Not to mention that she somehow felt guilty of hugging Jake in front of him, but she was too intimidated by his presence to realize it.

"Has your beta left?" He asked with a gentle voice, but still his face did not show any emotions.

"Yes your highness, he has. I am sorry once again. I have made sure he will not visit anymore. Anyway I will be staying for only one week here, so there will be no more visitors." She replied trying to reassure him, that she or her pack would not bother him again. But as she lifted her head and looked into his eyes, she remained stilled in place.

The usual ocean blue eyes that were capable of making her feel embarrassed with just one simple glance, were now losing their blue hue, darkening a bit. It was almost as if he was trying to keep his wolf under control.

Noticing her startled reaction and realizing its cause, he quickly turned away from her so she could no longer see his face and only said a few more words before briskly leaving.

She understood the reaction of his highness, she knew the reasons behind it without him having to actually say it, but it still took her aback. His gentle behavior until now as opposed to the aura he released some hours ago were miles apart. Coupled with the fact that he had almost lost control of his wolf just now, she felt she was understanding him less and less, with each passing moment.

She had gotten used to his behavior from the previous night and in the morning and thought perhaps it was his normal way of speaking. Though indeed he still spoke gently to her, towards Jake he even growled threatening. Perhaps he was gentler to girls and not to guys.