1.The cafe shootout

I walked through the cafe doors hearing the bell ding. The old red door creeks with every inch I open it, the sound makes me nostalgic. For the last two years, I have been working at the cafe to be able to pay for college. I majored in business and finances. You would think that after graduating with those under my belt I would be able to move out of my studio apartment.

That place was my home no matter what others say. It might be small but it has a big place in my heart. I know that sounds kinda cliche to say but that’s how it really is, it’s my place and I have put in the hard work to not leave it for someone else to ruin.

“Hey, Erica could you get table four for me? I have to run this to table twelve and I don’t want them waiting too long.” my coworker Taylor asked me as she walks past with a tray of food. She’s working here for the same reason as me. The cafe has lots of college students cause we aren’t too far from the campus here, it’s only a ten-minute walk.

“Sure thing T”

I walked over to the table to see three men in suits. We usually have men that look and dress like this because we are located in the center of the city and lots of big people work there. But these men look different. They look like they are radiating power. They look like they could tell the whole city to bow and they would. There was no way I could do this smoothly.

“Hi, my name is Erica I will be your server today. Can I start you with any drinks?” I asked the men. They all looked up from the menus. All eyes are on me.

“We all will have coffee. dark. And that will be all.” the man in the middle of the three said handing me all the other menus after collecting them from the others.

This man had a hard Italian accent. I know that most of the big companies near us are owned by Italians but I didn’t think that the people who worked there were Italian. I always imagined the boss stays out of the work they just yell at people and tell them what to do.

“Alright, I will be back with them in a minute,” I said and walked back toward the kitchen and grabbed the pot of coffee, and poured three cups.

As I walked near the table one of the men on the outside of the both reached over the table and grabbed a sugar for his coffee and I saw something. A gun. No, it cant be. Maybe he just has one of those side phone holder things.

Who am I kidding only old dads wear those.

I drop the coffee off at their table with nothing other than a smile and left.

I avoided that table till they left. I didn’t want to get killed if I was asking too many questions. I cleaned off their table after they left and found a one hundred dollar bill on the table. They only had coffee what were they paying for?

I put it all in the register and went on with my day. I didn’t want to take the money if they accidentally put it down. Maybe they will come back and pay the right amount of seven dollars.

It was now nine o’clock and I was the last person in the cafe after everyone left. I have been on the closing shift for a few months, so I got a pretty good hang of what to do.

I locked up the register and was walking to the door when a man came in, his face screamed danger.

“Sorry we are closed for the night we open at 5:30 tomorrow if you wanna come back then,” I told the man. All he did was pull out a gun and point it at me with a smirk on his face.

“Oh I’m not here for coffee,” he said walking closer to me.

“I’m here to ask you a few questions” and he sat at one of the tables to the left of me. “Just know if you run I’m going to shoot you.” he motioned for me to sit down in the chair in from of him. I sat down not wanting to anger him even more.

“So what do you want to know I have nothing to tell you. My life is more boring than the kids in the great depression” I rushed out trying to prove my innocents.

“Oh calm down I’m here to ask you what you have to do with the men who were in here earlier. You know the ones who looked like they were dickheads?” he said with a laugh at the end.

“You mean the ones that tipped me like $90?” I asked him.

“Yeah well believe it or not I’m here to help you those men only want to hurt you. And in ways that you can’t even imagine.” He says like he’s trying to get me on his side but he’s still holding a gun to me.

“What do you mean?” I asked him. I was now getting worried.

“Well, you see-” he was cut off the door opening entering where the three men from earlier.

“Enzo how nice of you to join, but as you can see we are a little busy.” the man said as he lifted his gun and pointed it to the guy in the center of the group. The man didn’t flinch or anything he just put a smirk on his face.

“Elian shouldn’t you be out on the corners with your girls?” the center guy retorted back as he lifted his own gun to the guy now with the name of Elian.

“Hey, the business makes lots of money just ask your mother, oh wait you can’t, she’s dead.” Elian spits back. “So why are you here anyway?”

“Well, I left something here when I left I came to come to get it.”

“And what would that be?” he asked lowering his gun only to put it under the table to graze my knee.

“Her.” he stared blankly with no emotions.

I looked at him with widened eyes. His eyes met mine and he nodded. I don’t know what he meant by that but all I know was that he wasn’t there to hurt me rather than to help me. Elian said that they only wanted to hurt me. I didn’t know who I should believe but neither of them had very strong arguments.

“Well you can’t have her we haven’t finished talking have we honey?” he said looking over at me.

“Umm,” I felt the gun push closer to my legs. “No we aren’t done yet can you leave us till we are done.”

I hated the way he said ‘honey’ it was like the 1950s and I was a housewife.

“Sorry, no can do,” Enzo said as he raised his gun to the air and pulled the trigger only hitting the wall behind us.
_______________
Hi, I just wanted to let you know that this story will be updated when I am up to writing chapters. And this WILL be a short story. I plan on it only being around 20-25 chapters.

Vote.

share.

comment.

please :)