What really are the Vegimals??

The vegimals are creatures that have always intrigued me in the show. And the question still lies: What are they really? Where do they come from? and my biggest question: How were they made? 

Like did some godforsaken fish decide to look at a vegetable and go: Well we should do this-

Shellington found them on the side of the octopod in large eggs. Good lord , those eggs were the size of BASKETBALLS. There is no way one creature could've laid even ONE of those. I mean there were a maximum of ten eggs on the legs of the octopod. So imagine a fish laying, like, ten eggs the size of soccer balls.

And if it were only one creature that laid them, imagine how MASSIVE it would've been. So imagine how big the vegimals full grown, would look like-

Also. can we address that they walk on two legs. (or fins or flippers)

Is that even natural? and if it were, would it be possible for a full grown vegimal to walk on two flippers? Maybe they all walk on two legs because they've watched and adapted to the way the other octonauts walk. So even though it may hurt or be uncomfortable, it's what they've had to live with unfortunately.

If they live naturally in the water, how are they meant to swim. So far, the vegimals, again, swim in the same way octonauts do. And where are their gills? Do they have scales? THE QUESTIONS JUST KEEP PILING ON.

Okay. Here's a theory:

What if the vegimals were a science experiment?

At this point, this sounds more realistic than Fish 'doing' vegetables ._.

Another scientist could have experimented with genes and grew big eggs only to drop them into the ocean and go 'whoops, oh well' and never came back to them.

Are the tufts of leaves on the top of their heads edible? And are they like....edible in general?

If they were edible, would they taste more like fish or veggies? 

Would it hurt if their tufts of leaves were eaten? Do they go mouldy?

......

Ok I'm sorry but I'm getting too deep into this XDDDD

Let me know what your ideas and theories are :D