Prologue

Hi welcome to my first aot fanfic!! To be clear, there will be some manga spoilers but they occur later on in the story and I'll put a warning for them. Some things may not align as they do in the manga and anime. Also, this is an Eren x oc fanfic and I absolutely love Mikasa so she is not in love with him in this fanfic.

I edited the cover but the drawings on it do not belong to me.

Long ago, Karl Fritz exiled many Eldians and himself to the island of Paradis. He claimed that he and the Eldians would repent for their sins committed against Marley and used the Founding Titan's powers to wipe the memories of the Eldians on Paradis. The Devils of Paradis Island remained ignorant of the outside world and the truth of their walls while the Marleyans despised their enemies. Anyone of Eldian blood still residing in Marley was interned and discriminated against. While the Devils of Paradis Island lived as peacefully as they could, the Marleyans fought wars and conquered new lands.

Ying Liu, or as she preferred, Yi, didn't know how her family ended up in Marley. They were just there one day. She was grateful however, even if she wasn't a pure Marleyan she at least wasn't an Eldian. It wasn't that she hated them or was prejudiced against them, after all, they never did anything to her ancestors. She was just grateful that she wasn't treated as badly as they were. Sure, being one of the few people in Marley of Eastern descent wasn't that great with creepy men and women pursuing her and the constant threat of being trafficked, but at least she wasn't interned like the Eldians. Though, she pitied them. They weren't responsible for the sins of their ancestors, so why should they pay for something they did two thousand years ago?

But who was she to judge, she was just a nurse. Yi wanted to be a doctor but because of her race and because she was a woman, she was rejected by all of the medical schools in Marley. She just wanted to help people and if being a nurse was as far as she would get, then so be it. Yi rejected all offers to work at the fancier hospitals and instead opted to work at the military hospital where the soldiers, both Marleyan and Eldian, were treated.

It was no secret that only Eldians and dispensable Marleyan soldiers were treated there, and most of the time, they weren't properly diagnosed or treated correctly. She knew that if she worked there she could save countless of Eldian lives with her skills and her unbiased judgement. So she accepted.

Another day, another patient. Except he was different. Eren Kruger, as she knew him, an Eldian soldier who lost his leg and eye in a battle. Doctors were always reluctant to help the Eldians, but Yi got straight to work to help him. If only she knew what hell she got herself into.