XIV - The Talk

"J-Jean Kirstein?" Yi repeated.

"Yeah, that's what I just said." he held out his hand, "Come with me."

Yi looked behind her at Lady Kiyomi who nodded, "Go, I will be okay."

But she didn't know if she could trust Jean. She made the mistake of trusting the enemy once but she did it again and walked closer to him. He wrapped his arm around her waist and with his other used his 3D maneuver gear. The moment they left the ground Yi clinged to him tightly as they rose up.

"Holy shit." she murmured trying not to move as much as possible. They stopped and were hanging for a bit. Yi looked up and slightly jumped before remembering that she was dangling in the air. She hadn't noticed the giant aircraft hovering over them.

The door opened and a girl in a ponytail and a boy with a buzzcut helped the two on board. As soon as she entered the ship she felt out of place. Everyone was staring at her. There was the girl that their Eren Jaeger was so smitten with. She was mentioned in his letters and they always did get a sense that he greatly admired her but they were never given any physical descriptions of her.

Jean climbed up and introduced everyone to Yi, "This is Sasha and Connie," he pointed to the two, "and we're the Survey Corps." Everyone on board waved at her.

"They'll want to speak to you." Sasha said as she led Yi to the front of the ship. She nodded and nervously followed Sasha.

Yi looked around the ship, while the outside was covered in metal, the walls and floor were made up entirely of wood. Connie knocked on the metal door and waited. A dark skinned man opened the door for them, "Hello, I'm Onyankapon!" he greeted warmly. It was nice to see a smile after seeing such horror and the awkward tension from the other room.

"Hello, I'm Yi." she introduced herself.

A loud gasp was heard behind Onyankopon and he was shoved aside. A brown haired person with glasses and an eye patch over their left eye smiled widely, "You must be the girl Eren talks about, Yi!" the person grabbed her hand and shook it, "I'm the Commander, Hange but you can just call me Hange."

Yi nodded her head and gave a weak smile, The girl Eren talks about? She repeated to herself, "Why am I here?"

The smile on Hange's face faded slowly, "I'm not sure, Eren requested it, that kid..."

The door to the cockpit opened and a blonde boy walked into the room, "Hi, I'm Armin." he tried his best to smile but just couldn't find it in himself to do it. Yi shook his hand and nodded her head.

"We're gonna go back and round up everyone and make sure they know when to come back." Jean interrupted. Hange nodded and Sasha and Connie followed him out.

"Why did you bring me here? What did Eren tell you?" Yi asked. She felt unsafe and was waiting for the moment someone would jump out and kill her.

Hange pushed their glasses up, "We were hoping you could answer that for us. Why did Eren tell us to bring you?"

Yi searched her memories. It was right before she met with Lady Kiyomi, what felt like many years ago was in reality, only a mere day before.

-------------------------------------------------------- Flashback --------------------------------------------------------

The two were lying on the floor of her living room. Yi had offered to give him her bed but he refused, insisting on sleeping on the couch which unfortunately didn't fit him. She couldn't sleep that night with her mind constantly replaying the many injured soldiers that she had to treat. Some injuries were so bad you couldn't even recognize the body part. A particular wound was stuck on her mind that night, a man with the skin missing on both of his arms. On top of that, he lost his legs.

Yi quietly tiptoed to the kitchen to get a glass of water hoping not to wake Eren up. But just like her, he was also reliving the horrors that he faced.

"Yi?" he said as she walked into the hallway.

"Oh, did I wake you up?"

"No, I couldn't sleep." He lied back down on the uncomfortable floor.

"Can I join you?" she asked. He nodded his head and patted the space next to him.

The two layed in comfortable silence, each with a mutual understanding of what the other has faced.

"Do you miss them?" she asked. "Your family?"

Eren sighed, "I don't know if I can face them." he turned on his side and played with Yi's hair, "They sacrificed so much for me, so many people died for me. And I left them to come here."

"Tell me about them."

Eren smiled in the dark but Yi knew that talking about them made him happy, "There's Mikasa, she's like my sister. You're both very similar, overprotective."

"I'm not overprotective." Yi insisted, "I'm just doing my job."

"And then there's Armin. He's the smartest person I know. He's been my best friend since forever. If you met him he would say that I saved his ass too many times to count but the truth is, he saved me. If it weren't for him and his brain we would've still been in those walls." Eren's eyes became teary, "There's Sasha," he chuckled, "she eats everything. There's nothing in this world that she loves more than eating. When I first met her she ate a potato in front of our instructor. And then there's Jean. He's arrogant and annoying but it's fun to argue with him. Connie, he's a moodmaker, everyone's friend. Historia, the most kind hearted person you'll ever meet. She's the queen of Paradis now. And Captain Levi if you count him as a friend."

Yi chuckled, "What do you mean 'if you count him as a friend'?"

"He's our captain but after being in his squad for so long we've all formed a family like bond with him. But he's small and has a lot of pent up anger. He's very scary, I've caught him on a bad day one too many times."

The two stared at each other in the dark, each listening to the other's breathing. The comfortable silence once again engulfed the two. Yi looked into Eren's green eyes and he looked into her brown ones.

Yi smiled but got a little sad, she never had friends, no one to back her like Eren had. A single tear left her face but she quickly wiped it away. She had Eren now. And Eren was her friend.

"I think...I would like to meet them one day." she said.

"I think they would too." he whispered. They stared at each other again, both wanting the same thing but too scared to initiate it. Eren leaned his head closer to hers and she did the same. She felt his breath on hers, their noses touching. Just a little closer. She said to herself. It was like he read her mind and Eren closed the gap between them.

It was a short and chaste kiss but it made her feel like she was on top of the world. And Eren felt happy. His mind was filled with what ifs. What if I just stay here with her? What if I abandon the plan and start a life with her? But he knew that if it became a reality then they would never truly be together. He knew that a reality where he and Yi were both happy together, did not exist.

Very proud of this chapter it started off bad but I like the ending I also don't know how to write romances because I've never been in love unless you wanna change that *frat boy face*

Prepare for some horribly written chapters coming up because motivation and inspiration have been low and exams are coming up really soon so apologies if they're not really entertaining or just sound bad

AN: New chapter will come out a little later this week, sorry for any inconvenience