II - A New Friend

Yet another day at work. Most people dreaded the mornings and going to work, but Yi loved it. She loved helping people because it made her feel happy. Walking into work she got the usual sexist and racist remarks, but she was used to it. She just brushed them off as she usually did. She learned from a young age that fighting back against them only made matters worse for her.

"Ah Liu Liu, your new patient was causing some trouble last night." Dr. Holt said.

"Oh really?" she said not really interested. She knew where this was going.

"You know, if you can't handle him it's okay to pass him along to someone else." Holt suggested.

Yi pretended to busy herself with organizing papers and books, "I'm fine thanks."

"Why is a pretty young lady like you working anyways?" Holt questioned. Of course he asked that. She always got these types of questions a few times a week. Next he was going to propose marriage. "You know, if you come with me, I can make sure you live a nice and comfortable life. It's not so bad you know, being married to me."

Yi restrained herself from rolling her eyes, "Oh really? Maybe I should ask your ex-wife!"

Holt's smile fell from his face, "Just do your job."

Yi headed to the large room filled with beds until she reached Eren's. "Good morning Mr. Kruger." she said cheerfully. Some patients were still asleep and some were just waking up. Eren looked like he hadn't slept for days. "How are you feeling?"

Eren just grunted in response. It was expected. "I need to change your dressing on your eye and leg. Is that alright with you?" Eren nodded slightly. "If you want, we can change it in another room so that you have more privacy." He nodded once again. Being a recent amputee, Eren never used crutches so Yi called for a wheelchair.

She wheeled him into a separate adjacent room that had less beds. The room was unoccupied as it was meant for patients who were more recovered while the room Eren had been staying in was meant for those with fresh injuries.

Yi cut off the bandages on his head. His empty eye socket was still scarred and scabbing but it was beginning to heal properly. She cleaned the wound and reapplied the bandages. Yi dreaded changing the bandage on his leg because he had to take off his pants. Men just made her uncomfortable and for good reason given that she was almost trafficked twice.

"Um, Mr. Kruger?" she gestured to his pants. "Do I have your permission?" Eren nodded and helped her take his pants off. He kept his underwear on so she was thankful for that. Yi cut his bandages off and cleaned his wound and applied some ointment onto it then wrapped it up.

"Would you like to go outside Mr. Kruger?" she offered. Eren nodded his head and she wheeled him outside. They were an underfunded hospital but at least they had some space. The hospital was originally for Marleyans only but once the internment zone began to grow closer, a new one was built, far away from it. The hospital now only treated Eldian soldiers and while it wasn't exactly in the internment zone, it was basically there.

Because it was an old Marleyan hospital, there was a garden that was quite large. It hadn't been tended to in years but it was a nice spot for patients to go whenever they wanted to go outside. Eren breathed in the air. It wasn't fresh at all and he looked pretty miserable.

Yi decided to try again, "How are you feeling Mr. Kruger?" she stopped and bent down to his eye level. Eren stayed silent. "Well, it's okay, you might be reluctant to talk but you still need company. If you don't mind, I can do the talking." still now answer. "Well, my name is Ying Liu and I was born here in Liberio. I don't remember my parents much but I do remember both of them being Eastern. To be honest, despite being taught to hate you Eldians, I never found myself resenting you guys.

"You aren't guilty of your ancestors' crimes and I believe that years of internment has already paid off. I have never seen you here in Liberio so you must be from another city. Where are you from Mr. Kruger?"

Eren stayed silent. Just as she was about to move on, he spoke, "Far away." he spoke so softly she almost missed it. He wasn't being very specific but at least he said something.

"You should acquaint yourself with some of the people here. There are a few warrior candidates who come by frequently, they're about to be sent off to their first battle. Maybe you can see them and give them some advice?" she suggested and Eren nodded. "There's a man about your age, Reiner Braun," at the mention of him Eren tensed but Yi pretended to not notice. "He possesses the Armored Titan. He can be a bit brooding at times but he spent many years on Paradis."

"Paradis..." Eren whispered.

"I wonder what it's like there? Do they know about us? Are they going to come here one day?" she thought out loud.

"They must be normal people, just like everyone here in Marley." Eren said.

"Hmm there will always be good and bad people everywhere, maybe. I don't believe that they are planning to attack us anytime soon. They have to cross an ocean to attack and only doing so would cause devastation to their people." Only if she knew how wrong she was.

Eren shifted in his wheelchair uncomfortably. Yi continued to push him through the garden allowing him to look at the other people. A man was happily wandering the area bending down to smell the dead flowers and overgrown weeds. A young boy spotted the two and ran over to them.

"Yi!" he called.

"Hi Falco!" she greeted. Falco looked at Eren, "This is Mr. Kruger. Mr. Kruger, this is Falco, he's one of the warrior candidates."

Falco bowed his head and held out his hand, "Hello sir." Eren hesitantly took his hand and shook it. He shifted his attention back to Yi.

"What are you here for Falco?" she asked.

He shrugged, "I'm just bored, looking for someone to talk to."

"Well if Mr. Kruger doesn't mind, maybe you can talk to him?" she looked down at Eren who nodded his head. She left the two and went back to the building.

Let me know what you think of this chapter! There'll be more interesting events in the next chapter!