Chapter 30: Life can always get crazier

I didn't know what to do. Uncle Ruben looked at me while biting his lower lip, seemingly nervous. Working with two pirate captains who wouldn't get along and worrying about the British was hard enough already... I couldn't believe I'd have to deal with my uncle as well! My real desire was to vanish, lock myself in a room and cry my eyes out. Don't judge me, I was panicking! How could I confront my uncle with Dirk and Miguel watching? Besides, I couldn't help but think about many events at the same time. Regardless of my grudge against uncle Ruben, I knew my life would've been much worse if it weren't for him. Without his help, I'd still be Hendrika's victim. Also, I'd be miserable since I couldn't imagine myself being anything other than a pirate. The Navy was trying to destroy me, but that wasn't my main concern at that instant. The question that wouldn't stop torturing me was how uncle Ruben had survived the shipwreck. Neither Maartje nor Sven had seen him that day, so what the hell happened? How did he end up in Miguel's ship? God, it appeared that a hurricane was inside me because I was extremely uneasy... I'd never felt the will of smiling and glaring at someone at the same time until that day.

Dirk rubbed his chin, "Is he the uncle who introduced you to piracy and disappeared after a shipwreck?"

I bit my lower lip, "The one and only."

Uncle Ruben examined my face, apparently trying to read my mind. Miguel squinted, seemingly confused about the situation. Although I imagined my uncle would speak first, he remained still as a rock.

I have to talk before this gets too weird.

I scowled, "Where have you been, uncle?"

"You're the niece that Ruben wouldn't stop talking about?" Miguel said to me, lifting a brow. "He mentioned a daughter too. Is she nearby?"

"I'm his daughter," my cousin stepped forward. "Maartje de Vries. Nice to meet you, mister... whatever your name is."

"I'm Miguel Gálvez Navarro, also known as El Dorado," the Spaniard grinned and glanced at me briefly. "I'm an old friend of Eva's."

She looked at me, then back at Gálvez. I had a feeling that things would get more complicated since my cousin couldn't stop herself from revealing secrets sometimes... yeah, I think you know what I mean.

"Spaniard, handsome, Miguel... Wait a minute!" Maartje gawked. "You're the guy who made Eva pregna..."

I put a hand on my cousin's mouth before she finished speaking. Obviously, it was too late. Everyone knew my little secret... Perfect! Uncle Ruben and Dirk glared at Gálvez. El Dorado raised his hands as if he surrendered.

God, I never wanted to drink rum as much as I do now...

"He did what?" Dirk and Ruben shouted in unison.

"I had no idea, I swear!" Miguel's eyes bulged. "Madre de Dios..."

"It's true! Miguel didn't know," I increased my tone of voice. "Now let's go back to our main concern."

"I can't believe you slept with my niece, Gálvez!" uncle Ruben frowned and pursed his lips. "I have to admit you two are a good match, but what the hell?"

I glared at Maartje and shook my head in denial. She mouthed "Sorry". I closed my eyes and took a deep breath, wondering how I would fix that situation. God, why my life kept getting crazier? 

The Spaniard raised his brows, "I respect you a lot, Ruben. I wouldn't have done it if I knew who she was!"

I can't say Miguel doesn't respect people's wishes because he asked me if I wanted to continue that night, so I believe him.