Chapter 6: It all makes sense now!

Three days had gone by since Laurens ran away. I still couldn't stop thinking about him. I know what you're thinking: he was my first crush. Well, I hate to admit it, but that's correct. Although I was thirteen and Laurens sixteen, my heart would always beat faster when he was nearby. However, I was probably wrong about my own feelings. It often appeared that what I felt for him was much more like a friend's love than a romantic one. Luckily, my supposed feelings for Laurens weren't that powerful, so I didn't end up with a broken heart after discovering I was just a "sister" to him. The only things that really shattered me inside were mom's lack of love for me and dad's silence every time she was violent. Besides, dad always found a way to say that Johannes' necessities were more important than mine. Remember that time in the man-of-war? That was only one example, mate! There are hundreds more, but I won't talk about them since it makes me upset.

Maartje and my uncle didn't show up again at my house until that afternoon. Perhaps they had been sailing or living some pirate adventures together... God, how I wish I were there with them! At least they decided to come back on that day. I was walking near my house when I saw them. I smiled instantly, controlling myself not to run to them like a child.

My uncle's pirate clothes are dirtier and apparently older than my father's RNN outfit, but they're somehow much cooler.

I approached them cheerfully, "Hello, uncle Ruben! Hi, Maartje! What brings you here?"

My uncle had a much more serious look on his face. He pressed his lips together and sighed. I cocked my head, wondering the reason for him to be acting that way. Although uncle Ruben smiled at me, I could see he'd forced it. My cousin's head was downturned. She appeared to be upset as well.

"Are you both okay?" I knit my brows. "You two look sad..."

I tried to remember if I'd said something that could've upset them. Nothing came to my mind. Maartje and her father looked at each other, then back at me. What the hell was going on? That awkward situation gave me jitters.

She bit her lower lip, "I told dad that your mother was extremely aggressive with you when we helped Laurens escape. We also saw her dragging you towards the stairs to beat you and we were horrified."

I froze, wishing I could disappear for a second. I thought I would cry and say all the bad words I knew if someone other than my father found out about my mother's violence, but I was wrong. The words had vanished from my mouth. It was as if I'd forgotten how to talk. Uncle Ruben pulled his brows together as he took some steps closer.

I want to hide. This is so embarrassing!

"I was distraught after I saw that with Maartje," he sighed. "Besides, I'd already noticed something was off when Hendrika was rude to you at dinner."

I nodded. Sweat ran down my forehead. The terrible memories of my mom offending, flogging and punching me came back at that instant... and they hit me like a cannonball. I breathed fast as my legs trembled. I hated showing my emotions, but I couldn't help it at that moment.

"Listen, Eva, we just want to help you," my cousin gently held my hands. "What's your mother doing to you?"

I sighed. My heartbeat wouldn't stop accelerating. There was no way I could lie to them or change the subject. I had a hard time trusting people, so how could I be sure their intentions were good? Was it even possible to confide in a witch's brother? Although he seemed like a nice person, I couldn't help but be afraid.

I chewed on my lip, "It's easier if I show you. Follow me."

My uncle and his daughter nodded. I shut the door once we arrived in my bedroom. Maartje frowned as she looked around. I wondered if she regretted having followed me.