Chapter 12: It can always get worse

I felt like a coward. Hiding in my room while our ship was being destroyed? That was ridiculous! Although I believed I had to do something, my feelings were remarkably divided. Should I help uncle Ruben and just forget what he did to my father? Perhaps jump into the ocean and leave everyone behind? I felt a mix of anger, fear and sadness while the galleon yawed. How didn't I roll and hit my head against a wall? I had no idea, maybe it was luck. I could hear many crewmembers screaming from where I was. I frowned and bit my lower lip, wondering what I should do to assist them. I hated sitting there like an idiot. Even though I knew uncle Ruben would take care of everything as he always did, I still felt I needed to help. He killed my father in cold blood, I know, but he was a great captain. My mind was driving me crazy at that moment. I wondered about my uncle's terrible actions and whether I'd survive that ocean storm. At that instant, The Revenger surged, throwing me against the ceiling. I winced with the pain.

"Enough of doing nothing," I stood up and glared at the wall as if it was my enemy. "I need to help!"

I went upstairs to the main deck. When I saw what was happening, I gaped and put both hands on my mouth. Most of the sails were torn, the ground flooded with water and the shrouds were damaged. Uncle Ruben and Lacroix were arguing. Some crewmembers ran with their eyes widened. Maartje held on to the mainmast with her eyes frozen open. Sven tripped, struggling not to fall. Although I tried to reach them, The Revenger swayed again. My bones collided with the wooden stairs that gave access to the forecastle and I screamed in pain. A bolt of lightning struck another sail.

"Steer port, Isaak! Now!" uncle Ruben shouted. "We must get away from this storm!"

Isaak pressed his lips together, "Aye, Captain!"

My desperation to survive was so enormous that I wasn't even thinking of my quarrel with uncle Ruben. The air escaped my lungs as another massive wave hit me and other crewmembers. Some people were thrown off the ship. Once our galleon rolled, my body slid again on the wet floor. As I was dragged away, my clothes tore. With my eyes bulging, I moved my hands in an attempt to hold on to something. When I was about to slide off the ship, someone held my hand. I squinted and felt my eyes burn as the wind struck them with sea water. My cousin had just saved my life.

"Eva, I won't be able to hold you for too long," Maartje knit her brows. "Try to grab the column!"

I nodded. Once the ship stabilized for a brief moment, I dragged myself closer to the mainmast. Many raindrops splashed in my eyes, so I saw nothing but the grey sky for an instant. I bared my teeth and squinted again. After almost ripping my boots, my hand finally touched the wooden column.

My cousin sighed and smiled, "I'm so glad you made it!"

"Let's not get ahead of ourselves," I raised my eyebrows. "I'll only consider myself successful if I don't die after this crazy thunderstorm."

I looked in every direction and bit my lower lip. No sign of Sven. I breathed fast, trying to understand why I couldn't see him.

Where are you, Sven?

I gulped, wondering if he wasn't one of the people who'd been thrown out of The Revenger. With my eyes widened, I turned to uncle Ruben and Isaak. Although I knew they were talking, I could barely hear them. Honestly, I couldn't even see them clearly.

"Where should I go, Captain?" Isaak's eyes bulged. "This ocean storm is everywhere!"

Uncle Ruben frowned and bit his lower lip as he gazed at the storm ahead. He appeared to be breathing heavily while walking from one side to another.

"Maybe that's your punishment for killing my father, uncle..." I glared at him and sighed. "I just didn't know I'd suffer the consequences too."

I pressed my lips together as I turned to Maartje.