CHAPTER 15: The Betrayer

Behind her smile, she is a hurting heart, behind her laugh she's falling apart.
I am not ok, but I smile anyway even though all
the clouds in me are raining. ~Anonymous

FLASHBACK (6 years ago)

I was staring at the girl in the mirror, dressed up in a beautiful white, off-shoulder wedding gown with a sweetheart neckline. The whole town was covered in lace and a veil covered my face. Today I am going to marry the love of my life. I've always imagined it as the best day of my life. I've always dreamt about this, but nothing was happening according to my dream. Don't get me wrong, I love Adriano and am more than happy with the idea of spending my entire life with him, but I didn't want to get married so soon. I am seventeen for god's sake. Who gets married at 17? I love him but I also love my dream. My parents clearly told me I wasn't allowed to do modeling. After getting married, it would be impossible for me to make my dream come true. I talked about this to Adriano and all he said was "We'll talk about this after the wedding Alice". He wasn't sure himself about it and I know once we get married, he would also agree with my parents and tell me to join the company. I love working in the company as well but whenever I see all these models on the television, I can't help but want to be at their place. They rule the world with their beauty. All I know is I want to become a model. My mum once asked me what I would like to become if modeling didn't exist in this world, though I didn't answer her question deep down I knew I would like to work at the company. The biggest reason for me to think so was the smiles it would cause on my parent's faces. I was always a smart kid and good at studies. I have also helped my dad multiple times with his work and have absolutely no problem working with him in the company but every time I look at these models, I imagine myself in their place. Even if my parents wouldn't like me going into this profession, once I become famous, they'd accept and forgive me. My dream of becoming a model overpowers my thought of working in the company.

If I don't do anything now, I won't ever be able to make my dream come true.

I've already packed my bag and taken some cash. But this is wrong, I am going to hurt and betray so many people, especially Adriano, he would be heartbroken. He might never forgive me after today. But I am doing this for me, once I become what I want, I'll go beg for his forgiveness. He loves me, I am sure he would give me a chance. I quickly took my wedding dress off and changed into black denim and a white tee. I took the rest of my clothes and tied them together like a rope. I tied one end of the rope to my bed and threw the rest out of the window.

"They are going to hate me," I said to myself. Adri, he would be waiting for me in the aisle. Would he ever forgive me after what I am going to do right now? I wish they all could forgive me one day.

You are doing this for yourself, Alice. It's your dream and you are going to make it happen.

I hung my bag behind my back and climbed down through the rope. When I reached the ground, I took one good look around me. My eyes brimmed with tears. "I hope one day you'll forgive me Adri. I am so sorry." With that said, I climbed up the fence and ran away.

******

"Adriano!" I whispered in shock. I hope he didn't hear anything. No, he wouldn't have heard it. He was nowhere near when aunt spoke b-but I didn't even look around to confirm it.

"What are you thinking about Alice? Were you thinking about whether I heard the entire conversation our dear aunt just had or not?" He raised his eyebrows and folded his arms around his chest.

My eyes widened at his words, but I immediately changed it into my smirk while I was panicking on the inside. Oh my god! Did he really hear all of it? Now, what am I going to do?