CHAPTER 20: The Devil is a Woman

Of all the things I've heard, 'I used to be so happy' is the most heartbreaking of all. ~Nikita Gill

My eyes widened when Max told us the real identity of the devil.

Caterina Roman. That woman! I never thought she was the one to make my life a living hell. I thought everything was over after she went to jail.

Oh my god! Why does my life have to be like that? Why do I have to go through all these things?

I now had tears in my eyes. It was really hard for me not to remember all the things which happened to me, all those nightmares which haunt me. I have been hurt, extremely hurt, tortured, abused, and used. They also killed my ba-

"Alice! Alice!" Adriano broke my train of thoughts, slightly shaking me.

I looked at him. He had this expression on his face that was full of care, love, and support. He asked me if I was ok if I could be here and continue listening to their revelation of the truth. I just nodded my head lightly at him. He smiled a little and asked Max "Why did she do it? Why did she want to make Alice suffer?"

Max was about to speak but Aunt broke him and spoke instead "Revenge. She wanted revenge. Alice was the one to send her to jail, to separate her from the 'love of her life. She is crazy, mentally unstable, and has taken a lot of treatments for that but nothing could treat her. She was way past the point where the doctors can treat her. She wanted to take everything away from Alice."

Adriano looked confused and asked her "How was Alice the reason to send to jail. It was me who did that not her. She should have taken her revenge on me. Why Alice?"

Aunt looked at me and said "You should ask her that. She is the one who has answers to your questions."

Adriano looked at me. I could feel his stare on me but I couldn't look back at him. I tried not telling him the whole truth but now I have no other option but to tell him. I sighed inwardly.

"We'll talk to you guys if we need to till then you'll be under Daniel's supervision. We are not going to keep you here. You can go, live your life as you used to till we catch her. Do not do anything that will make her doubt you. We'll keep an eye on you people so don't try to act smart. It is in your hands to save yourselves. I am providing you with protection but you are the ones to save yourselves by acting smart and normal in front of her. Do not do anything to make her doubt you people."

Both Aunt and Max nodded.

We were about to leave when aunt said "You guys need to be very careful. She is a psychopath. She can kill anyone she wants. Just be careful. I-I am sorry for doing that to you Alice. I know no sorry can justify what I did to you but I am extremely sorry. I did this to save my daughters. I just couldn't risk their lives."

I just nodded. I couldn't speak after all of this. My throat was heavy and I knew I would break down soon.

"Also to get her you need to find Rafael. You know him very well Alice. I am s-sorry for everything he did to you." Aunt said.

"Why him? Why do we need to find him first? Was he her biggest asset and helped her in her crimes?" Adriano asked.

"You don't know?" She asked raising her eyebrows in astonishment.

Our expressions were enough to tell her we had no idea of what she was talking about. She sighed and said.

"Remember Max told you, people, she had a 6-year-old son." She said

We nodded in her response and she just stared at us. We didn't understand why she wasn't saying any further until I finally get what she was telling us. My eyes widened as if they would come out of their sockets, at this realization. OMG!