93

1 WEEK  LATER - SKOOBY

"Your honor we've gathered some promising news for my client, Isaiah."

"Is that so? What does the defendant have to present?"

"My client has received notification that a key witness, Anaiis Hamilton, will be presenting a testimony in her words of the events surrounding my client and all affiliated parties in the alleged charges placed against my client, including miss Latisha "Kandi" Brown."

My throat instantly dried up hearing Miss Kandi name again. The realities of the world were starting to kiss the back of my neck and hold me tight. So tight I could barely breathe.

"I see." The judge took his sweet time writing down notes that seemed to take all the effort and concentration in their world.

"Does the defendant have a time frame for this testimony? Need I remind the defendant that these are very serious charges placed against you and time is of the essence in, well not to dance around the conversation, but life or death. I hope you understand."

"My client is fully aware and confident that they will receive this testimonial in no later than a month."

"A month." The judge looked at me, then at my lawyer, then back down at his paper.

"Mr. Isaiah, let me just be the one to say that you have a lot riding on this testimony and I just want to be the one to personally say that it would be who of you to not only let your family down but to not waste the court's time as well."

I kept my face neutral, head up high and jaw clenched in anticipation. My lawyer bust his ass day in and day out to postpone my hearing and with news of Ana defending me it made him work even harder to keep the judge at bay from putting me in, under, and between the jail.

This judge ain't give a fuck about niggas like me. He was old, he was white, and he was ready to sentence me even if I sneezed wrong.

I could feel my mom's eyes peering down the back of my neck, holding her breath and the judge's decision to either proceed with the charges and dismiss the newfound evidence, or to give me time.

I just needed this old man to give me fucking time.

Already dealing with the death of Sharpz had me fucked up. They still don't know who killed him but it didn't take much for people to put two and two together that this was a retaliation kill. They didn't waste any time to see that Demon was killed off a grudge set by bullet himself. And even though it didn't bring Sparkle back, it brought some justice for the moment, I guess.

From what I been hearing, Bullet ain't been handling the news too good. He paces his cell back and forth, back and forth, like a caged animal. He won't eat, and he's barely sleeping. All he's doing is pacing back and forth, back and for-

"Mr. Isaiah, do you agree with the allotted timespan provided to you for this testimony?"

My thoughts came to a racing halt. Was this judge saying what I think he was saying? I could see the annoyance building in the judge's voice and it only embarrassed me more.

"Could you ask him to repeat it, please? I- I didn't hear." I whispered in Marquise cousin's ear.

"I do apologize, your honor, my client has been severely distressed from this situation. He's actually been consulted for insomnia-"

"That's all fine and dandy, Mr. Jackson. I just need to know is your client aware and in compliance to the time frame allotted to him to provide the court with this written testimony."

"May I ask that you repeat the allotted time frame for my client so he has a clear understanding?"

The judge's beady blue eyes bounced between me and Marquise's cousin, Antonio, ready to call us a slur or a spicy derogatory term. But, instead, he took a sigh and wrote down additional notes.