64

SKOOBY. OCTOBER.

I don't know what it is about contact visits that always had me nervous. Maybe it was the fact I was without chains on my hands and ankles that made me feel a little bit more freedom than the regular but this day had my stomach in fucking knots, I swear.

Officer Trinity made sure to escort me to the contact visits, but she wouldn't tell me who it was that was coming to see me. My mama told me in her own way that the drives every weekend was beginning to rack up costs that she just couldn't or wanted to keep dipping in because she needed it to keep her and my lil sister afloat.

The money was there, but the shit wasn't moving left or right and I could tell my mama was feeling it. She was keeping her acrylics on longer, her eyebrows weren't always crisp like they usually would be and she would have to secure her wigs a little better since I couldn't always spot her with the extra cash that nursing wasn't really giving her. She never made me feel bad 'bout the shit, thank God, but I felt bad. My mama gave me life so I had to give her luxury.

But I knew she couldn't keep driving to Boca Raton for work and coming down to South Miami to see me every week. I knew it was going to get to this eventually, so it is what it is.

"So, you really not gonna tell me who coming to see me? Y'all be knowing before the inmates, Officer Trinity."

"You know I can't tell you that, Isaiah." I knew she was trying to look all serious and shit, but I saw behind all that. Especially all that green and gold. Not even gonna lie, I been in this shit for about 4-5 months and if it wasn't for Trinity looking out, I feel like my stay here would have been longer and harder especially since that fuck nigga Great Value Gucci kept trying to fuck with me in here. I don't know what his fuckin' problem was but I'm glad his ass got transferred to the Psych inmates to give his ass a run for his money.

She would pop into my unit when she could, sneak me extra food when she could, even made sure my commissary stayed up to date. I cant even begin to tell you how much my mama was happy to hear I had someone on the inside, Trinity was even down to let me give my mama her number if anything happened to me. And, to be real, it was refreshing having a nice girl round you who ain't always want something out of you. Trinity was pretty alright, and her being cute as fuck was something like a plus.

I just wish I could, ion know, take her out or some shit.

Maybe when I get out, we could work on that.

"C'mon, Trinity, you know I don't like surprises and shit. Last thing I need is to be surprised in a fuckin' prison-"

"Language, Inmate."

Trinity's backup, we'll call him Milk Dud, accompanied me and her since I was considered high risk because of my pending charges. He was cool as fuck although I didn't get up close and personal with him—basically one of those niggas that wont fuck with you if you don't fuck with him and I would honestly prefer it that way versus a nigga who always had to be up in your shit like he was wiping your ass himself.

"My bad, my bad. I guess I'm just gonna have to wait and see."

"I guess so, Isaiah." She was smiling while she looked ahead and I could see her cheekbones rise up high. That girl was too sweet when you got past that mean-ass exterior. Something in me made me feel like she was too out of my reach to event hink about dating her and, I don't know, that made me feel a way I ain't feel since Ana.

Officer Trinity pushed open the slate gray doors and my eyes automatically scanned the room, bouncing table after table for someone that looked familiar to me.

"Man, ain't nobody here to see me, why you playing with my feelings like this?

"Look harder, Isaiah." Trinity said with a reassuring tone.

So, I did. My eyes bounced from corner to corner until-

"Lil' Isaiah! I know you not gonna act like you don't see me, it ain't been that long!"

My eyes followed that deep ass voice. It had this familiar fatherly tone that I ain't hear in years since I was a little ass boy playing football and shit at Gwen Cherry park.

"Oh, sh- Mr. Toni Tone!"

Sweet Toni, known to the kids in the neighborhood as Toni Tone, wearing his classic burgundy polo and black jeans with a toothpick combo, smiled wide like he was reunited with long lost family. Standing from his table that was littered with open and unopened snacks, he closed the gap between me and him and held me in a fatherly hug. Some inmates looked on while others looked away, some in sadness and some in a sneer.

"Its been a long ass time, Lil' Skooby. How they treating you in here?" Toni held my head in his hands and put our foreheads together so the officers couldn't hear.

"I'm so sorry you got wrapped up in this shit, son. I promise you imma do what I can to help and I got some niggas in here that's looking out for you. Don't worry about what they look like, just know they know what you look like and they got any fuck nigga that try you."

All I could do was nod and bite my lip. Toni always had a heart on him that made him take care of anyone he cared about. When I used to do Peewee football and shit, he was always the one bringing boxes of snacks, uniforms for the kids who couldn't afford it, anything, all you had to do was open ya mouth. And with that, I saw him as a father. Everyone in the neighborhood did and with a nigga that held that much respect, you wouldn't dare shake his castle to get to the throne.

See, when I got older and started to hustle, Toni name would still ring bells in the streets long after he left Miami and I honestly wanted to get to that level of power without even having my presence being needed in the room. But, there was always those niggas that talked about Kandi in a backhanded compliment about Toni and trust, the right nigga would chin check that nigga, sometimes even me since I was dating his daughter.

"I- I appreciate that, man. Can't tell you how mu-"

"Inmate, head to your seat, please."

"R-right. My bad, sir."

Milk dud tipped his hat and stood against the wall to talk to Trinity.

Me and Toni sat across from eachother with both of our faces stressed and concerned. My heart was in my throat but I knew he was gonna have some questions and I was ready to answer whatever.

My mouth began to open to speak, but Toni beat me to it.

"There's something you gotta know about that nigga Kandi shot."

⊱ ──────ஓ๑♡๑ஓ ────── ⊰

hey everyone! you know what time it is!

DISCUSSION: did we miss skooby? What do we think is gonna happen now that Toni is in the picture? Keep in mind we were in August with Ana, it's now October. What do you think happened since then? What would you like to see or think is gonnna happen next chapter?

don't forget to vote, comment and share for more!

if you enjoy my work, I do have a tip jar for those who want to support my craft. Not obligatory but definitely appreciated: cash.app/$𝐛𝐚𝐞𝐬𝐮𝐧

PSA: DO IT FOR THE BAG will be available in my personal book store on payhip and amazon on Thanksgiving/Black Friday in PDF, Kindle and paperback versions for only $4. Save the date. 💕