16

CHANGING ON ME – ROD WAVE

"You sure you gonna be straight? You don't need me to come through and check shit out for you?" Skooby had one hand on the steering wheel and another on my knee, his worried expression never leaving the road.

Truth be told, I didn't even know if it was gonna be alright. My mama was discharged a few days ago and I honestly didn't even know until I was in the middle of riding skooby dick and Jamie mama text me asking when did my mama get discharged.

Hey ana baby, just seen your mom at the store with Junior. i didn't even know she was discharged after what Jamie told me but tell her I said hey. Praying for y'all and if you need anything please let me know.

~ Blessed and Highly Favored

Shit, it was a shock to me that my mama was even discharged. And of course that fuck nigga junior did nothing to notify me.

I had my chin rested in the palm of my hand, watching the trees and other cars pass at a rapid speed. I had so many feelings going through me. Bitterness, frustration, aggravation, confusion.

I was tired of coming back home to this bullshit.

Skooby squeeze of my knee made me turn slowly to look back at him. I ain't say shit but Skooby returned my gaze with a tightening of his jaw and a long drawn out breath.

"Anaiis, c'mon ma don't look like that. You know you gotta be there for your mama. She ain't got nobody else."

I sucked my teeth, rolling my eyes back to the window. "She got Junior." I spat.

"Man, that nigga don't count." He removed his thigh and gripped the steering wheel, squinting ahead. "That nigga better not touch yo mama, or you, he think he a big shot ass nigga but he don't know who the real thu-"

"Skooby," I stopped him. "don't start on that thug nasty shit today. You know whatever you do she just gonna run back to Junior like he got roots on her or some shit."

Skooby let out a short chuckle, looking over my way with a playful raise of his eyebrow. "You think I'm thug nasty, for real? I thought I was an ugly ass nigga to you." He teased.

I side-eyed him, trying my best to hide my smile. "Light green." I pointed at the traffic lights to distract him from my answer.

"Man, you bout games." He shook his head, a wide ass smile spread across his face. "I bet if I did that shit back to you like I did at the mandarin you'd be telling it all like Karrine Stephens on ya ass."

My face was in my phone at this point. I looked over at Skooby ass one more time, my thick lashes shielding the afternoon sun from my brown eyes. "Skooby don't even play. Need I remind you that you was the one begging me to stop cause you was 'bout to buss quick-"

"Ion know what you talkin' bout, youngin'" his smile still wide as ever, but he ain't look my way.

"Oh you don't?" I cleared my throat and lowered the bass in my voice. "Ah, shit, Anaiis. That pussy so damn good you gon' make a nigga bust. Where'd you learn to suck a nigga dick like that-"

"Man chill!" he thought it to be fuckin' funny to playfully hit the brakes on me! I was in the middle of replying to DMs when my phone flew out my hand and landed in between Skooby legs.

It was a red light and Skooby was still smiling up until he looked down at my phone. I could see his jaw starting to harden again but he ain't say nothing. He handed me back my phone and shifted a little away from me, turning the music back up.

Puzzled, I raised my eyebrow at him before focusing back on my phone.

Shit.

Cut had wrote me on Instagram.

So when a nigga gonna see you? Nigga really feeling yu.

My eyes went from my phone to the entrance of the B&B's to Skooby looking dead in my direction. I swallowed hard.

"Skooby-" I started.

"Nah, you ain't gotta explain. You ain't my girl." I could hear the hurt seeping through his teeth. "You wanna fuck with other niggas cool. But don't fuck with that nigga. He ain't good for you, Ana."

His voice was caring but strong. Almost dark, it brought me chills.

"How you even know him?" I tried hard to hide my attitude. Like Skooby said, he ain't my nigga. But I knew he still care.

"Don't worry about that. Just know I know of him. And I know he ain't good for you."

"Like Jazzy was good for you?" my attitude was starting to come out.

"Man, Ana, listen to me. For once. I don't wanna get in your business cause I care about your ass. But if you wanna argue with me 'bout it, then, you a grown woman. I ain't gonna make you see what I saw."

See what he saw?

I looked up, my mouth affixed to responding, but I saw my front door wide open and I could hear Anita Baker blasting from the parking lot.

With my mouth still open, I squinted over to my house and grabbed my duffle bag close.

"I'll see you later Skooby." My voice was distant even sitting inches to him and he could tell. He leaned forward and grabbed my arm before I climbed out his car.

"When you ready to leave the hood, let me know." And he let me go.

I couldn't say nothing. He knew I was talking to Cut and my pride wasn't about to have me sitting and crying to him again.

I didn't close his car door when I started walking to my door and he didn't make a fuss about it. He just reached over to the passenger side, pulled the car door closed, and pulled off blasting Rod Wave.

Every body changing on meIt's like the whole family debating on Me it's starting to feel like the more paper I seethe more niggaa start hating on me