chapter 1

━。゜✿ฺ✿ฺ゜。━

❝ sometimes, love is as simple as watching the moon and sometimes it's as difficult as counting the stars. but i love doing both for you. ❞
- ashish bagrecha.

 ❞- ashish bagrecha

━。゜✿ฺ✿ฺ゜。━

The snow was glistening under the shades of trees. The sun high up in the sky, with a soft breeze in the air. Footsteps crunched on the freshly fallen snow, marking it. A person, no older than 10 years old, was rubbing a hand against the hard bark of the trees, almost like a guide. Feeling a mark against the bark, the child sighed in discontent.

'This is the second time now.' They thought, 'I'm just going in a circle...'

They pursed their lips, then letting a soft sigh out, tightening their grip on the splintered wood of the axe in their hand. They moved forward, the only sounds being the wind, the soft crunches of the snow and the peaceful songs the birds were making.

This was just the usual for the small child, every few weeks or months, the child would move to a different village, scavenging for small scraps, and some warmth. Occasionally, a couple would allow the child to stay in their home for a few nights to replenish themselves, before they set off again. Not for a lack of trying with the people they stayed with, wanting the child to stay with them once they found out they had no family or friends. It had been like this for as long as they could remember – that not being very long – and the last thing they remembered was the warm blood of their parents coating their whole body, and a faint memory of pink and orange. Other than that, all they know is that they are older than when that specific memory had happened. They have no idea where their home was, or if they buried their parents.

A harsh thud brought the child out of their mind. Y/N yelped, rubbing the spot on their head softly, before looking up and seeing themselves face to face with wood.

"What are you doing here?" A rough voice called out, before a smack was heard.

"Don't be so rude, look at them!" A gentler voice reprimanded, muttering could be heard from the first voice, along with another smack.

Y/N froze for a second before looking in the direction of the voices, a woman had a hand over her mouth, and the other clutched to the man's arm. Their breath faulted from their rhythmic pattern, the child stared at the two strangers who radiated orange and warmth – even the man who looked like he was about to murder someone – as the woman slowly walked towards them, as if walking towards a scared animal, and crouched in front of them.

"What are doing out here all alone, little one?" She asked, her voice sounding like the birds that were singing earlier. "Where are your parents?"

"I'm looking for a place to stay. My parents are dead." Y/N deadpanned, causing the woman to gape at them. They looked up at the man, who was just in a similar state.

"Uh, right... okay." The man spluttered, facepalming, then letting out a sigh.

The woman looked back at the man, as Y/N looked between them, their headache worsening by the second.

'I just had to hit my head on a wooden wall. I would have taken stubbing my toe over my head.' They thought, watching as the woman and the man discuss in hushed whispers, not really caring whether the – they were guessing – couple would take them in or not. They have enough experience to live outside, even if they did give off that warm orange aura and seemed kind enough.

The woman knelt in front of Y/N again, her face softening and smiling, "We'll take you in for a couple of days. I'm sorry about Hansuke-kun, he can be a bit rough around the edges, but he means well. I'm Keiko-san, what's your name?"

Y/N glanced between the two, weighing their options before replying. "I'm Y/N." Keiko sweetly smiled with closed eyes, giving a small head pat to the small child in front of her, giggling.

"Nice to meet you, Y/N-chan!" Y/N allowed her to hold onto their hand, guiding them to the side of the house that had the engawa, "How old are you?"

Y/N looked around in awe, although not shown on their face, the place was beautiful. Sakura blossom trees surrounded the house, with a mixture of different flowers glowing in the afternoon sun. Keiko rubbed Y/N's shoulder softly, bringing them out of their thoughts, "I'm 10 years old, Keiko-san."

Keiko and Hansuke's eyes widen, looking at the 10-year-old in absolute horror. Just what had they gone through, to be alone in such a world. How cruel was this world to allow such events happen to a mere child? The couple didn't even want to question why a child had an axe, either.

Keiko led Y/N into a small room with a futon, with a small table in the corner, adorning a lamp. Hansuke glanced at the axe, pondering for a moment before taking the axe from their small hands. They narrowed their eyes at him, pursing their lips in displeasure.

"You'll get it back, don't worry, little one." Hansuke reprimanded, putting his hands up in defence after he put it on the table. Keiko lightly laughed at them both before motioning for Y/N to the futon. They cautiously moved to Keiko, "Have a small nap whilst we make some food for you. Is there anything you want specifically, sweetheart?"

Y/N shuffled themselves into the futon after taking their shoes off, realising just how much they missed the soft comfort of a real bed, glancing at Keiko before closing their eyes and hoping their small headache goes after sleeping, "(F/F) please."

Keiko only smiled, ruffling the small child's head for a second before standing up and motioning for Hansuke to join her, allowing Y/N to sleep in peace. Hansuke let a small smile slip seeing them with such a peaceful expression, much different to the almost emotionless face they wore they whole time.