chapter 32.

━。゜✿ฺ✿ฺ゜。━

❝ a ripped heart,
living a dry life,
with a soul that was falling apart
the reason i breath. ❞

- long black night, kim yeji.

━。゜✿ฺ✿ฺ゜。━

Y/N couldn't move their eyes off the two fighting. Two people that were from two different parts of their life; one that knew them from way before their Demon Slayer years, and one who stayed by their side since becoming a Hashira. Two totally different people but equally as important to Y/N.

Dust was kicking up with every fist throw, with every swing from Kyoujuro's sword. A mix of blue and orange, fighting for their lives.

"There were never any Flames among all the Hashira I've killed until now," Akaza spoke. Y/N had no idea how they could hear them, but they listened in – their body wasn't moving. The Moon Pillar wanted to stand up, to fight.

But who would they fight?

"And no one ever took me up on my offer, either."

Y/N saw Kyoujuro's sword embed itself in Akaza's arm, "Why do you think that is?" Akaza asked, looking at Kyoujuro, grinning wildly. Y/N knew how much he enjoyed fighting, and he was treating this like a real battle. "As a fellow martial artist, I just don't get it. Not when only the chosen ones can become demons!"

Just as Akaza was about to punch Kyoujuro's face, the Flame Pillar sliced Akaza's arm off, which regenerated almost instantly and threw another punch with the same arm. "Watching the hideous decline of someone blessed with extraordinary powers... It pains me! I can't bear it!"

"Die, Kyoujuro... while you're still young and strong."

Y/N breathed heavily, as if the one in battle. Their hands shook, tears falling down.

"Y/N-san..." Tanjiro whispered, unable to keep up with the fight that was happening, "Y/N!"

The h/c haired gasped, looking at Tanjiro, whose eyes were shaking, scared for Kyoujuro yet found the strength to say, "He'll be okay. He has to be."

Y/N opened their mouth to speak, but found words were escaping them – they couldn't believe how utterly pathetic they were being in this state. They should be the one reassuring Tanjiro, not the other way around.

The memories were slowly dwindling to small ashes, and Y/N remembered everything. Every single thing they had forgotten. Akaza, Kokushibo, Douma... The year they left, what had happened afterwards. The journey they went on to find the three demons, but losing their memories in the process, meeting the kind couple... Keiko and her husband. Meeting Gyomei.

It had hit Y/N all at once – Enmu had forced their brain to remember in one single go, instead of gradually remembering things at a slow speed to stop them from being overwhelmed.