chapter 31.

━。゜✿ฺ✿ฺ゜。━

❝ a broken heart is all that's left,
i'm still fixing all the cracks,
lost a couple of pieces when,
i carried it, carried it, carried it home. ❞

- arcade, duncan laurence

━。゜✿ฺ✿ฺ゜。━

When they first met Akaza, their parents had just been killed. He was the one who protected them from that day onwards.

Y/N felt safe when they were with Akaza. Not afraid.

Maybe it's the way that they instantly connected, even though he was a demon, and they were human. Or maybe it was some outside force. Either way; the two grew close, considering Y/N had no one else.

Akaza...

Akaza took all his free time to make sure the child was alright; he would spend the time when he wasn't searching for the blue spider lily, or the Uyubashiki hideout, with the young h/c haired child.

It was sweet.

Except... Demon's don't really tend to have a concept of time, considering the fact they're technically immortal.

Sometimes Y/N would go weeks without knowing if Akaza was okay, whether or not he was coming back or if he even forgot about them.

But in the end, he always came back.

He taught them skills they needed to learn to survive – cooking, washing, cleaning... even how to get away with thieving people. Akaza had said himself he didn't remember how he knew; it was just like a habit.

The demon taught them everything about demons after a year or so of knowing each other – they were very close at this point, even though the child was barely eight years old, they acted so much older. He just found their company to be comfortable in – not like the other Upper Moons, or demons. It was relaxing, and he could forget about demons and the world when it was just them two.

As weeks went by, and multiple visits were made, Y/N was beginning to grow restless. They had nothing to do when Akaza wasn't here, and it was boring – sure they had everyday chores, and shopping to do every other week (considering they only had to feed themselves). The child knew they needed a hobby.

Which is what made them confident enough to ask Akaza to teach them some martial arts, as he had spoken about it in passing.

Something about it being his fighting style and something to do with his 'Blood Demon Art'?

Either way, as Akaza was walking through the door one day after Y/N was determined to ask, he was bombarded by the child in a hug as soon as he closed the door.

And that was how Y/N learned martial arts against a demon.

It was exciting at first, learning something new. But it quickly became something that Y/N was passionate about – almost as much as Akaza himself (he thought it was humorous how excited they got when they were learning martial arts), and he was glad to teach them self-defence. It made him feel better knowing they could somewhat defend themselves against people (maybe not so much demons right now).