chapter 68

❝ your eyes are swallowed by the waves
frost builds up in my cold heart
can't hide it, even if you wipe it away it soon builds again
the promises we made have now
turned into bubbles and disappear far away before my eyes. ❞

- contradicting, hyunjin (stray kids).

[ this chapter is out later than i wanted it to be, but it's here

[ this chapter is out later than i wanted it to be, but it's here. i can't believe this battle is taking up 4 chapters at least, god damn... i don't even wanna think about the fight with muzan now... :<

but anyways, i went to go see the weeknd in london (this was back on the 9th of august) and it was amazing, like genuinely; i was near the barricade and it was a hell of an experience. im also going to see twice and g-idle the day after one another this weekend and i'm so excited!! legit can't wait.]

━。゜✿ฺ✿ฺ゜。━

"Hm...? Hmm...? Two! YOU!! You're Upper Rank Two! Your secret's out! I know you're second from the top! HAHAHAHAH! If I defeat you, I'll be a Hashira!"

"... I don't exactly hide that I'm Upper Rank two..." Douma sweatdropped from where he was on the ground, looking at the boar-headed maniac. "You look interesting..."

Y/N stared blankly at Inosuke as he continued his rant, ignoring the demon. "When I become a Hashira, they'll call me the Beast Hashira... no, the Boar Hashira?!"

The sudden turn Inosuke made towards Kanao almost made them get a whiplash at how fast it was. "Which do you think is better?! Hey..."

Multiple intelligible noises left the man's mouth as he took a quick glance at Kanao, his... eyes landing specifically on the h/c haired who was digging their blade into Upper Moon Two's back even further.

"You... You're all beaten up! What're you doing?! If you get injured, you'll... You know!"

Y/N could feel Inosuke's hidden emerald eyes digging into their figure, piercing like daggers. All he got in response was a grunt of affirmation.

"Shinobu'll get really mad at you! And she gets really angry!"

Y/N's face soften slightly, heart cracking at just the name being uttered - flashes that fell like shards of glass being impaled in their heart as they remembered the way Douma held onto their dearest friend as he absorbed her.

Inosuke went silent, switching his gaze between the two swordsmen.

"Is Shinobu... dead?"

Y/N yelped as Douma forced himself up, dragging their blade out of his back and appearing next to both Inosuke and Kanao. Checking for any injuries on either of them, only feeling a bit relieved at the sight of Kanao having scratches - nothing too fatal.

"Of course not! She's not dead!" Douma chirped, spreading his arms wide, as if opening himself up for a hug, face contorting into faux friendliness and welcoming. "She lives forever inside me!" A grin of insanity twitched his lips upwards, showing his sharp canines; the crazed glee uncontainable in his rainbow-coloured eyes. "All the people I eat are that way. I save them. They're no longer in pain, they no longer suffer. They become part of me and find happiness."