Chapter 12

My father brings me back to University, where I go straight up to my room without saying a thing.
I open the door and the Ballas took me by surprise. They're all in my room waiting for me. So I give them a mysterious look.

"Hey!"

"You guys waited up for me?"

"Of course we waited up for you."

Chloe replies smiling. God, why is her smile so beautiful? And why she's always smiling? This smile is perfection. It's not too bright and not too small. It's just perfection.

"They've been here for hours. It's a real inconvenience Beca."

I notice Kimmy Jin sitting on her bed. Gladly she leaves.

"Beca, I'm glad you're here. I'm calling an emergency Bella meeting. Our score sheet revealed that the Sockappellas almost beat us. And Fat Amy, you need to do it exactly how we rehearsed it, okay? No surprises."

"We should be taking risks. It's not enough to be good, we need to put ourselves out there, be different."

Again I start discussing with Aubrey.

"Beca's right. The Trebles never sing the same song twice."

Cloe supports me. Why she's doing this. Again and again she supports me. We haven't talked for weeks. She just supports me, no matter what I'm doing. What the fuck is happening between us. What went wrong? We could be so perfect together, but instead of this we're not talking to each other. The story of us looks a lot like a tragedy.

"The audience love the Trebles, they tolerate us. We could change the face of a cappella if we...Oh my god, that sounded so queerballs. What's happening to me? Um..let me show you this arrangement I've been working on."

What I'm doing? I start sounding like Aubrey. We can change the face of a capella. What this weirdos made of me?

"I didn't know you were into this stuff."

Chloe looks at my laptop. She lays one hand on my shoulder. Oh my god. What is happening right now. This feels so good.

"Yeah."

"Okay, I have the pitch pipe, and I say that we focus on the set list as planned. From now on, there will be no more wasting time with work or school or boyfriends or partners. Sorry, Cynthia Rose."

Aubrey has to figure out again that she's the boss.

"But Aubrey, this stuff is pretty cool. I mean..."

"Okay rehearsal tomorrow. 8:00am sharp."

Aubrey interrupts me and leaves. The other Bellas also leave, one after the other. I can still feel Chloe's hand laying on my shoulder. I look up to her.

"Becca, you know I'm so happy for you and Jesse. You belong to him."

She whispers and follows the others. What was this? I don't want her to be happy about me and Jesse. What she's talking about? I don't belong to Jesse and I will never do. I lost him. I lost Chloe. I lock everyone out.