Recipes

The year before I went off to University, my mom bought me this cookbook for people who can't even boil water and we basically worked our way through the whole thing until it was September all of a sudden. It turns out cooking is a lot easier than you think it is, and to prove it to you, here are some of my favourite recipes from Cupboard Love, all but one of which are super easy to make. Trust me. Those PB cookies? I made friends with an ex-con using those once. No lie.

Beef & Beet Borscht

2 tbsp olive oil

1 chopped onion

2 crushed cloves garlic

1lb beef in 1" squares

4 cups beef stock

2 small beets

1 can of crushed tomatoes

1 diced carrot

½ lb diced potatoes

2.5 cups finely shredded cabbage

2 tsp lemon juice

2 tsp sugar

2 tbsp italian parsley

lots of fresh dill

sour cream on the side

Cook onion and garlic over medium heat for 3-5 min. Add beef, beef stock, and 4 cups water, bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer with a lid on for about an hour. Remove meat.

Trim the beets, wrap them in foil and bake for 30-40 minutes at 400 F. Remove from foil and cool.

Heat the stock again to a boil. Add tomatoes, carrots, potatoes, some salt. Cook for 10 minutes on medium heat.

Add the cabbage and cook for 5 minutes. Peel and dice the beets. Add the meat back to the pan, as well as the beets, lemon juice, sugar, and parsley and dill. Cook until heated through.

Remove from heat and rest for 10 minutes. Serve with sour cream and more dill & parsley on top.

Beef Bourguignon

http://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipe/103/Beef_bourguignon

Pasta Carbonara