Chapter 17

A week later, just as Stiles is on his way out the door to head over to Derek's, his phone dings with a new email from Lydia. There's no subject but the body is just a big, long, mathematical equation that he doesn't bother to finish reading.

From: stilinski.is.our.king@gmail.com

To: eulersjewelei0@gmail.com

Re:

If you're sending me classified data before the government takes you out, I don't think gmail is the most secure method.

From: eulersjewelei0@gmail.com

To: stilinski.is.our.king@gmail.com

Re: Re:

That's the odds on you and mountain millionaire working out. Looks plausible.

From: stilinski.is.our.king@gmail.com

To: eulersjewelei0@gmail.com

Re: Re: Re:

I hate you.

From: eulersjewelei0@gmail.com

To: stilinski.is.our.king@gmail.com

Re: Re: Re: Re:

No you don't.

Of course she would send that to him right before he uses the key Derek gave him for the first time. Classic Lydia. If Stiles didn't know better he would suspect she has psychic powers and only uses them for evil. Stiles reminds himself that he's not the unpopular kid he was in high school who wasn't comfortable in his own skin. He's a grown ass man now, living on his own, mostly happy with himself. He has a scholarship and a sort of burgeoning side business. He can do this.

***

Stiles can't do this. He's up to his elbows in grated Gruyère in the middle of Derek's kitchen when a beautiful woman walks in the front door like she owns the place. She's tall, with long, gently curling brown hair and bright green eyes.

She looks like someone from a comic book, all lush pink lips and fair skin and knee high leather boots over her jeans. She's even wearing a cropped leather jacket that hits just above her waist. She's probably a model. She's probably a model who is dating Derek. Stiles feels incredibly awkward.

"Uh, hi," he says, suavely. "I'm Stiles."

A slow grin spreads across her face, like a shark; a beautiful, deadly shark. "Laura," she says, hopping up on the island. "I'd shake your hand but it looks like you're in the middle of something. What are you making?"

Well, if she unlocked the door she must have a key, so Stiles figures he's at least fifty percent okay to keep cooking. Plus, like Derek had said: there's really nothing to steal. "Mac and cheese with pancetta," he explains, gesturing to the small mountain of cheese he's shredding. "I've already grated the other cheeses, so it's just the Gruyère left and then I can really get started."