•Chapter 22•

Atlas

"You and Ms. Blake will be quite busy the next couple of days. " Is he serious right now? What kind of sicko is this dude? I watched as he continued to rub his thumb along Quinn's lips then caressed her blood-stained cheek. Quit touching her. I wanted to strangle him but couldn't. "And if I refuse to be your dam and shit out a bunch of mutant babies." She wasn't herself at the moment. It wasn't hard to tell that it was rearing its ugly head and at the forefront of her mind. The way her eyes tracked the doctor's every movement like a hawk was a telltale sign she was in hunting mode. "Quinn," I softly called out to her. Marcellus was watching her as well. Although I knew he was in her life before me, I couldn't help but feel overwhelmed with intense emotions. It was as if I was threatened by the fact another man was challenging me for her attention and affection. Quit it, she probably doesn't even feel anything for me anyways. Even before Talia fixed us, I felt drawn to her. I figured it was the damn crap that they had put inside me that was calling the shots and making me feel the way I did. Now I'm unsure. "Quinn," I tried calling out to her again.

She blinked and turned her head in my direction. Those blue -green eyes of hers held mischief within. So that's what her eyes looked like before the experiment. They are beautiful. Armed men climbed into the back of the truck and began unloading everyone. Quinn didn't move. She stood there staring at me for a while before turning to watch the others be shuffled out. "Are you going to chain her up?" Evangelina asked. The doctor cocked his head and smiled, "No, now show Mr. Jones where he'll be staying. I'll walk Ms. Blake there myself, no need for any guards." He reached out his hand to hold hers. Quinn took a step back. "Come now, Ms. Blake. Don't you want to get settled in to your new home?"

"No, if you want us to be a pair then we must both be brought to our room together," I sneered. I didn't like the fact that the creepy dude wanted to be alone with her. He was a literal walking red flag. Evangelina's brow lifted, "You think I'm going to allow another rabid dog to be unchained? No thank you. " The doctor turned to face her and motioned towards me, "Enough, remove the rope and muzzle. He does have a point; they must present themselves as a pair to the others. You mean the crazy lunatics you feed innocent people too? Your lovely little homicidal pets. She rolled her eyes and motioned for one of the guards to do what was asked.

Once the rope and muzzle were gone, I instantly stood up and walked to Quinn's side. "I must say they are just marvelous creatures, much better than they were originally. How did their DNA evolve so quickly?" he asked. Evangelina snorted, "You can thank Ms. Brent for that, she did something to their DNA in some shabby little cabin room out in the woods." She turned on her heels and used one of the men's arms to help herself out of the truck. "Federico, we can't stay here all day. We have things to get done." The doctor sighed and nodded. "Come now, let's go." Quinn was hesitant at first but once I grabbed her hand she calmed down.

Her hand is so small in mine. How adorable. I helped her out of the truck and walked alongside her as we followed the crazy people in lab coats through the back door of a large building that seen better days. I could see some of Federico's homicidal pets curled up in balls in their cages while others were snarling at each other from chained posts in the floor in the far back of one of the rooms we passed by. They must have completely succumbed to X49, they don't even seem to have any part of their human side left.

She squeezed my hand tightly. The sound of her hearts beating extremely fast put me on high alert. I didn't know what was causing her to panic, but I made sure to scan our surroundings for any signs of danger. Her breathing had increased, she inhaled and exhaled repeatedly. We followed behind them like loyal lap dogs, I could sense their guards close behind us. "Breathe, Quinn." I looked over at her as she breathed vigorously in and out. "Everything alright back there?" Federico asked. I squeezed her hand gently, hoping maybe she'll calm down soon. "Yes," I said with calmness. He gave a light nod and continued down the hall with Evangelina rambling on beside him. I could smell so many X49 test subjects within the facility. I could smell their fear, excitement, and confusion. Are they even treated as humans anymore, or are they nothing more than monstrous mutants.